Is my plant okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I hope you don't mind me posting a question here but I asked a question last year and the responses were really helpful!

I bought a plant a year or so ago (I think it's some sort of aloe/cactus type plant) and I'm really happy with how it's growing but I worried about the leaves at the bottom that have turned brown. They don't seem to want to fall off and when I tug, they stay attached so I have just left them there.

I'm really pleased that the plant seems to have sprouted new leaves at the sides but am concerned the rest of the leaves will turn brown and the plant will die.

I keep it inside in plenty of indirect daylight and water it sparingly. Is this the correct kind of care?

Also, if anyone can tell me the name of my plant, it would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Shorty

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1523.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Succulents store water in their leaves because they are desert plants, and they do best in sandy, we draining soil.... when you say water sparingly do you mean a little bit of water sort of frequently, or you let the soil dry out between deep waterings? (Hint...The latter option is the right one.) :) A healthy aloe can go months without water.

Anyway I think some die-back of the lower leaves is normal but that seems a bit excessive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Beth_B. Hmmm, I would probably say I water it every 4 weeks with a little water so I will stop doing that! Oops!

Any suggestions about what to do with the brown leaves? Should I try and pull them off even though they are not loose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it may actually not be over-watering...I'd soak it infrequently though, so all the roots get water.

Maybe cut off the lower dead leaves with scissors?

Ask a Question