Insect Infestation Help: Valencia Orange Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for help/advice on an insect issue I'm having with my Valencia Orange Tree.

For reference, this is a tree that lives outdoor most of the summer and that I move indoor to a small green house during the winter months. I've had the tree about 4 years.

This year when I moved it in I noticed these little almost flea or gnat looking bugs kind of swarming all over the surface (and I assume below the surface) of the soil.

I did a little research and bought a bottle of Bonide Captain Jack's Insecticidal Super Soap

I'm now on my 10th day of essentially looking at the soil several times a day and spraying any insects I find there. I also will coat the trunk/branches and any leaves (top and bottom).

This doesn't seem to be improving and every day there seems to be more of these bugs.

Any help or advice on how to treat these guys would be appreciated.

As an aside: I haven't really noticed any adverse effects on the plant yet.

J

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do they fly around the plant too? You may have Fungus Gnats which aren't feeding on the plant. Their larvae feed on decaying organic matter in the soil. They are annoying, though. You can use Mosquito Bits sprinkled on the soil to help control them. They also hate dryness so letting it dry out more can help.

Ask a Question