Prayer plant issue with a kind of insect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a problem with my fascinator house plant. There are some tiny insects on it causing damage. They live under an oval shell of about 2.5 mm, but the insect themselves are much smaller - about 0.2 mm, almost invisible to the naked eye. I made a picture of how it looks on the plant and recorded a short video under a microscope showing live insects. Links are below.

If you know what it is and how to get rid of these insects, please share.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a hard scale insect and it is attached to the plant and does not move. It is sort of like a barnacle except it is on a plant. They will multiply and cause a lot of damage to your plants. Insecticides do not work well against these insects but oils do. Oil smothers them. The best thing I have found for them is Neem Oil. They will stay attached to the plant even though they are dead until the plant grows enough to pop them off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Your Red-veined Prayer Plant (Maranta leuconeura var. erythroneura) is infested with Scale insects (Coccoidea, Homoptera).

First, use a blunt tool to scrape away as many scale as you can find. A sharpened pencil is an ideal tool for this job.

Second, spray the plant with insecticidal soap. Coat all possibly infested surfaces, being certain to drench any crevices and other hidden areas.

Repeat thes two steps as need until there are no signs or symptoms of infestation.

Ask a Question