Inexpensive cold frame.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
I was curious to discover the plants you mentioned, @Colin,
so I googled and I have to say they produce marvelous flowers. Fingers crossed :)
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Fagiolino for your good wishes which I appreciate. (y)

I'm very much a novice gardener and a couple of months ago Bron and I visited our local Wyevale Garden Centre where I had hoped to buy some Vinca Minor (Periwinkle) ground cover plants for planting under our assorted trees and bushes; however the garden centre didn't have the Vinca so we asked a staff member for advice and he kindly suggested as alternatives Pachysandra and Ajuga; only Ajuga was on sale but at a special offer price so we bought the Ajuga; this is now planted just to the right of our new hut on the steep slope it being used as ground cover or at least it will once it gets established.

At another local garden centre we found Pachysandra so bought four of these potted; it's from these I've taken the cuttings seen in the cold frame so no they aren't being used to form a small hedge they are to be planted as ground cover; we still haven't bought any Vinca but I think this will now wait until next springtime due to it being winter and today it's been snowing.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the excellent pictures; it will be lovely to see a spread of these under our trees where the ground is usually bare; I've done a great deal of work in the garden so far this year and I'm now looking forward to next springtime when with luck the 200 Narcissi I've planted around the garden will appear for the first time. I'm keen to do a lot more work in the garden but as I say it's snowing so I'm now spending time in my workshop; as long as I keep busy I'm happy. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Our soil will freeze down to about the 2' mark and more.

Whoa! Perma frost! I see what you mean.. This forum really opens up my idea of how the others live!

Saw this video about this Albertan growing melon. Amazing ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Getting ready to design and build a cold frame this month. My in-laws gave me a couple of old sliding glass doors. It's good to see other people's designs. Thanks!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Captain Belly!

Ask a Question