I'm Late! Help!

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for coming to my rescue! I have been so busy with my babies and my home business that I never got around to planting yet! I'm afraid I'm too late for planting some goodies; but can you help me figure out what I could plant now that would still do well? I live in Southwest Michigan and it's really humid here but also very hot with barely a cloud in the sky on most days. When it rains, the rain will last for two days and truly flood the ground. I live in a rental (with no shaded areas), so I can't tear up the landlord's ground but I do plan on building a palette-raised garden area. Can you please help me figure out what types of produce would still make it if planted late or which ones do well planted mid-June. I know I've missed some deadlines but my family is vegetarian/vegan and anything removed from the shopping list is a big help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi! Thanks for coming to my rescue! I have been so busy with my babies and my home business that I never got around to planting yet! I'm afraid I'm too late for planting some goodies; but can you help me figure out what I could plant now that would still do well? I live in Southwest Michigan and it's really humid here but also very hot with barely a cloud in the sky on most days. When it rains, the rain will last for two days and truly flood the ground. I live in a rental (with no shaded areas), so I can't tear up the landlord's ground but I do plan on building a palette-raised garden area. Can you please help me figure out what types of produce would still make it if planted late or which ones do well planted mid-June. I know I've missed some deadlines but my family is vegetarian/vegan and anything removed from the shopping list is a big help!
I don't know when your first frost or freeze is but you can probably still plant bush green beans, purple hull peas, okra, peppers, squash, but hurry

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Chuck and Headfullofbees! I really am a novice at this so I need suggestions and nudges, even if they seem like common knowledge to most everyone else. I am excited to see you both mention squash!!!! I am in love with all kinds of squash! I will get started right away! Any specific squash suggestions? I love butternut and yellow squash. Mmmm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much, Chuck and Headfullofbees! I really am a novice at this so I need suggestions and nudges, even if they seem like common knowledge to most everyone else. I am excited to see you both mention squash!!!! I am in love with all kinds of squash! I will get started right away! Any specific squash suggestions? I love butternut and yellow squash. Mmmm!
Too late for butternut and other winter squash but all kinds of summer squash like the yellows, zucinnis, peter pans and scallops will do great. You might also get by with cucumbers and canteloupes

Reaction score
Beans are a good bet because you can grow a number of crops of them. Once the first round matures start a second group and so on. Summer squash, cukes, and everything else that people have mentioned. You don't say where you live but you might be able to find some pepper and tomato plants that will take off as soon as you get them into the ground.

Ask a Question