If you knew then what you know now...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Heruga,
1.) Help your dad out in the veggie garden. If he's been doing it since you were little, he's got some useful plant knowledge. I don't care if you are not interested in veggies and only want to grow pretty things for aesthetic reasons. Plants pretty much work the same. Learn at the feet of the master. :ROFLMAO:
(And after having shown no interest, I bet he'd be pleased and proud to teach you.)

2.) Take some gardening classes. They usually offer some at Home Depot/Lowe's over the summer, and they are usually free. Watch LOTS of YouTube videos on what you want to learn. See how it's done.

3.) Find a local gardening club. Master Gardener's club. Whatever they have close to you. Be forewarned, it probably will be a bunch of older people, and you might get your cheeks pinched. Then again, they might make you cookies. Life's a gamble. ;)
(Just don't let them call you "Whippersnapper.")

4.) Post your questions here before you go crashing around like a bull in a china shop. It'll save you the trouble of having to redo things, or worse, having to replace plants!!

Just my opinion, though. Your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Heruga , over the years, I spent many a cold winters months curled up on the couch with a pile of gardening books from the library on gardening or a specific species of plants. And reviewing some old good Garden Mags. (they do not change). Making lists, drawing out the areas that need upgrading etc. Then searching for a local nursery or mail order to see if a plant/shrub can be found, and making notes etc. Perhaps getting a special blank book dedicated to your garden notes might be good for you. Above all, it takes patients.
And all that @MaryMary said above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh yes @Heruga you are a mere child! And good for you being so willing to learn, too.

My local garden center has a schedule of free classes...I've never taken any (keep meaning to) but I agree that's a great idea.

Really, although I've dabbled with gardening for almost 40 years (I am 58), it's just in the last five years or so I've made an effort to be more knowledgeable. This forum is a lovely resource. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well thanks everyone for the advice :D
I currently intern at a botanical garden right now though. And yes my coworker is in her 50s-60s and all the volunteers are seniors lol but I don't mind that at all. And I'm actually pursuing a career in horticulture and want to become an expert on perennials and maybe shrubs and trees as well. Not really crazy about annuals. And after I complete this intern which lasts until september, I'm planning to go to NYBG school of professional horticulture for the 2 year program to learn more. I don't exactly know what I want to do in the horticulture field as there is a lot of branches to it but I'm still trying to find out as I learn. Definitely want to work with perennials though. Maybe working at a major botanical garden, maybe work for conservation parks, and maybe even opening up my own nursery(probably the hardest one). Still figuring out
@Esther Knapicius, yea I recently bought a book on perennials and I'm studying that :) definitely going to get more books on some of my favorite plants too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
99% of my plants are perennials. I rarely buy an annual, perhaps for hanging pots and that is it. Take a look at my gardens on YouTube under Estherredstar channel. Years of slides, and movies.

Ask a Question