Ideas Sought For Temporary Landscaping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Everybody!

We have two ten foot yew bushes, a 26 foot tall arborvitae and a 5 foot one the broke. They dominate and cover most of the front of our house. The tall arborvitae also tips in snow, sometimes enough to push on our Japanese Emperor I maple. It's also right against the house and bangs on it. The yews make a good hiding place for bad guys & bathroom for some people. So, we decided they should go.

Spring is the chosen time to do a Grand Plan for landscaping in front. But during winter, the front yard will look terrible.

Do your all have any ideas of temporary landscaping that we could put just so the house doesn't look abandoned all winter? I have absolutely no artistic vision about such things.

An old, 1984 photo of the house before the trees & bushes were put in is attached. Other than the Japanese Maple in the right half of the front lawn and a brick planter left of the steps, it's pretty much how the house will look after the trees & bushes are removed. Hopeless!

Thanks For Sharing Ideas!

Paul

Attachments

• 1984 Photo House Front.png
    1984 Photo House Front.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a good idea to consider, DrCase. It would be easy to install a short one and remove it later.

Attached is a photo of "As Is". Comparing the photo to the one in my original post really shows the difference we will see. (The ones with arrows are leaving.)

But, stuff got away from me the last few years and it's time to start over.

Thanks Again for replying DrCase & Please Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Attachments

• Before Changes October 2023.jpg
    Before Changes October 2023.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Winter months are good for installing things like screens, trellis, pergolas, arches and seats - even a small summer house. These kind of markers would make the new planting fall into place in the spring and summer months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a brilliant idea you presented Tetters! We've still got many weeks until the ground freezes.
It'll give us a jump start in spring.

Thanks Again DrCase & Teeters for inspiring!
Paul

Ask a Question