Ideas for big embankment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My garden has two large embankments either side of a stream but they are a bit bare and could do with filling in with various trees/shrubs. The area doesn’t get direct sunlight during summer due to the bigger trees and I need something that ideally isn't going to shed any leaves in the autumn.

There are one or two lone rhododendrons which are ok but probably not growing quite as well as they should, I would be happy to go for a variety of things to make it look more interesting, ideally big in size and low on maintenance.

Any advice appreciated, I don’t have a clue with these things! Picture attached..

Attachments

• IMG-0078.JPG
    IMG-0078.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
what a Lovely Project Chakka. Its a little difficult to suggest plants that don't shed leaves as all plants Do at some point. To work with what you have I.e. Stream, trees ,Bank & Rhododendrons, in semi Shade Id Plant a Few Ferns look Up In Particular Japanese Painted Ferns, also Japanese Acers Come in lovely shades from yellow to red. I'd also look for a pyrus japonica or two, choisya, Heuchera , Camellia, Azalea, Aquilegia, Bergenias, Anemones Autumn & summer flowering, Augers, Digitalis & Asters ...........For a start(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Bamboo? Pieris? Camellias? Yes, as Daren says, digitalis, vinca, hellebores, Daphne, box, fatsia and euonymus, variegated hebe which flowers in January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There's a house near us with a similar bank, I notice it each year when the whole bank is covered by a variety of colours of trailing aubretia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big thanks to all of you, I will look into all of your recommendations and see what they have at the local garden centre. Can’t wait to get going!

Ask a Question