I took figs that grow in our garden for granted until..............

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Most Indians and that includes me have a craze for foreign goods, I had a few dollars and when one of my friends was visiting the US I requested her to buy me some goodies including figs.
It is only after I tasted those did I started appreciating what grew in my own garden. I have liked those golden coloured figs but somehow what I got from the US are black in colour and slightly wet too. No doubt they are sun dried.

004.JPG

002.JPG

Figs that grow in our garden.
figsplate.jpg

figtree.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fresh figs are absolutely sublime...when I've lived in places where they're readily available it was a frequent snack. The dried or preserved ones don't even taste like the same fruit.

I do see them occasionally at a little local Indian grocery store but only by the case. And they're the black mission figs, still very delicious fresh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you like it? It looks like prune to me as I haven't eaten dried figs before. Now, you got me curious, and I will look for some on my next grocery trip.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Did you like it? It looks like prune to me as I haven't eaten dried figs before. Now, you got me curious, and I will look for some on my next grocery trip.
I had ordered for prunes as well. These are figs. I like the dried figs which have a golden colour. I normally soak them in sugar syrup which makes eating them easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look so weird! It's the first time when I see black figs. Is it a special variety?
I often eat dried figs that look like those:

7e77688069a7e3c7b4aed76b084efc2f.jpg

Reaction score
My mother loves figs , she always had :) My grandma had a fig tree growing in her garden, for us those dark colored figs are common sight. Sadly I could never get into them :oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
They look so weird! It's the first time when I see black figs. Is it a special variety?
I often eat dried figs that look like those:

7e77688069a7e3c7b4aed76b084efc2f.jpg
These are the figs I truly love. They are definitely superior to what grows in my garden. Since they are a bit tough I soak them in sugar syrup for a day or two and then finish them all. Dry Fruits are my favourite.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My mother loves figs , she always had :) My grandma had a fig tree growing in her garden, for us those dark colored figs are common sight. Sadly I could never get into them :oops:
I was expecting to get those golden coloured ones which are my favourite. These black figs did not appeal to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These are the figs I truly love. They are definitely superior to what grows in my garden. Since they are a bit tough I soak them in sugar syrup for a day or two and then finish them all. Dry Fruits are my favourite.
They're absolutely delicious, aren't they? I also like dried apples, apricots and cranberries. They make a perfect snack:D
Fresh figs are quite yummy too, but they're very expensive here.

Reaction score
I was expecting to get those golden coloured ones which are my favourite. These black figs did not appeal to me.

Yes, that is a shame :( I have seen the black ones and to be honest they don't appeal to me either. I thought that white thing that came out when I picked one from its tree was gross :p

Reaction score
I absolutely love these things. My grandmother had a tree and made fig preserves. They are very rare here. I have only seen a tree a couple times. I have only heard a couple times people even saying that they have a fig tree. Some dont like them but I love them. I can eat them right off the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
once in a while I luck out and run across a person here who grows a fig tree and I will get a few fresh ones.. Its a big ordeal, not one I want to deal with. But they have to build a little house around it in the winter to protect it, and I think the perfect location is a must, probably in the spot where the most sun of the day can be found.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I absolutely love these things. My grandmother had a tree and made fig preserves. They are very rare here. I have only seen a tree a couple times. I have only heard a couple times people even saying that they have a fig tree. Some dont like them but I love them. I can eat them right off the tree.

I picked up a recipe from the Net to prepare fig syrup. It was delicious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
once in a while I luck out and run across a person here who grows a fig tree and I will get a few fresh ones.. Its a big ordeal, not one I want to deal with. But they have to build a little house around it in the winter to protect it, and I think the perfect location is a must, probably in the spot where the most sun of the day can be found.

That sure is an ordeal. I have no such problem.

Ask a Question