One of our seedling greenhouses took a hit this winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, it was sad to hear that one of the seedling greenhouses on my parents flower farm had a hard winter. When the kids and I arrive, next month, this is going to be one of our many projects.

Usually, my dad tries to keep the heavy snow off the greenhouses, but this year (they are getting older), they spent the winter in their city house and could not keep up on the maintenance. So between the heavy snowfalls and the gusty winds, new plastic is needed.

Sometimes, the greenhouses only need a little patchwork here and there, but this time the whole thing is destroyed. I must admit, I am a little hesitant to see the damage first hand, but with a little work and cooperation, we will have it back in shape!

Anyone else having to deal with getting their greenhouse back in order for the upcoming season?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a green house, but I know the winter is very rough here for us too. Every snow storm we had, it was more than 10 inches and everything ws damage. My little garden area looks like a tornado just went through it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have a green house, but I know the winter is very rough here for us too. Every snow storm we had, it was more than 10 inches and everything ws damage. My little garden area looks like a tornado just went through it.

Oh, Michigan! That is my home state and where I will be spending my summer. I just get so happy when I arrive back home. I feel, it so beautiful up there! There truly is no place like home! And, yes, I know all about the heavy snowfall in Michigan. :eek:

I am sure you will get your much beloved garden into shape in no time! What are you planting this year, that has you most excited?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, Michigan! That is my home state and where I will be spending my summer. I just get so happy when I arrive back home. I feel, it so beautiful up there! There truly is no place like home! And, yes, I know all about the heavy snowfall in Michigan. :eek:

I am sure you will get your much beloved garden into shape in no time! What are you planting this year, that has you most excited?

I don't have a vegetable garden, and only planted flowers. I did have pea pods, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes before, but the squirrels and rabbits always beat me to it. We also have rats problem since my hillbilly neighbor LOVED to put left-over food right outside of his door. I told him about it, and he bought rat poison spraying around his perimeter of the fence, which killed everything on its path. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have a vegetable garden, and only planted flowers. I did have pea pods, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes before, but the squirrels and rabbits always beat me to it. We also have rats problem since my hillbilly neighbor LOVED to put left-over food right outside of his door. I told him about it, and he bought rat poison spraying around his perimeter of the fence, which killed everything on its path. :(

Oh boo! :mad: Now, this is a sad story! Naughty, naughty neighbor leaving food outside the door. Yucky rats! Now, when it comes to the squirrels and rabbits, I wonder what the best way to keep them away from your pea pods, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes? (which by the way, sounds yummy!) I know we get the deer, who like to eat the top of the lilies and the birds who like to come take away the seeds! Oh dear! :geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh boo! :mad: Now, this is a sad story! Naughty, naughty neighbor leaving food outside the door. Yucky rats! Now, when it comes to the squirrels and rabbits, I wonder what the best way to keep them away from your pea pods, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes? (which by the way, sounds yummy!) I know we get the deer, who like to eat the top of the lilies and the birds who like to come take away the seeds! Oh dear! :geek:

I am not going to try to grow vegetables, and very happy with just flowers. I plant sunflowers for the birds. I love to see gold finches coming to rest on the huge sunflower heads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How did your repairs turn out? Would love to see pics!

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been so busy out in the field. Between weeding the sections of Peonies and planting the Dahlia tubers, there has been no time for repairs on the greenhouses. Yes. I use the plural. Of the three, one is gone completely and the other two need not only new plastic but new posts in some places, Looks like the frames are still in good shape.

For some reason, my iPhone will not load pictures onto my laptop here. My kids explained it has something to do with the WiFi connection difference here. It is driving me a bit batty, as I enjoy taking and sharing my pictures. Hopefully, they will configure the necessary steps to allow me to post this week.

Reaction score
Country
China
It was real pity for your family.So why i suggest that the greenhouse need more stronger at another post . I mean you need to do a metal frame for greenhouse and more thick glass.Hope you everything go well!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about the damage done to your greenhouse. The weeds have taken over my space so I think I will garden in containers this year, not much maybe some flowers.

Reaction score
Country
China
Sorry to hear about the damage done to your greenhouse. The weeds have taken over my space so I think I will garden in containers this year, not much maybe some flowers.

I think so,The containers could be better,If the heavy snow coming again.:geek:

Ask a Question