I pulled up 82 hard neck garlic a few days ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
100_4632.JPG

100_4636.JPG

100_4635.JPG

100_4642.JPG

100_4638.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously, they'll be slightly smaller when they cure, but that is still an enviable crop.
Congratulations!
I may have a bit of a furtle around to see if mine have started swelling yet, although I would expect them to be a couple of weeks away from harvesting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Obviously, they'll be slightly smaller when they cure, but that is still an enviable crop.
Congratulations!
I may have a bit of a furtle around to see if mine have started swelling yet, although I would expect them to be a couple of weeks away from harvesting.

Garlic do great if you feed them a little 5-20-20 fertilizer. I buy about 6 bulbs of hard neck garlic from the grocery store July 1st keep them in the refrigerator 2 months then plant cloves Sept 1st about 2 months before first frost. Cloves grow tops quick about 5 days if kept in the refrigerator 2 months over wise it takes 4 weeks to grow tops. I am in TN. our growing season is April 20 to Nov 1st.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine have suffered from the long dry spell we have had, still they have a little while yet. I'm afraid my water mostly went into the greenhouse, I can't afford to use mains water now we are on a meter, but I should do better now I have had a reshuffle and added to my water butts. A bit of steady rain should give me around 900 liters available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yummy, what do you do with the scapes, I love to cook with them. Actually get them from a local Amish market, 4 big gathered circles. Then I food processor them, and freeze it in squares to make it each to chop off what I need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yummy, what do you do with the scapes, I love to cook with them. Actually get them from a local Amish market, 4 big gathered circles. Then I food processor them, and freeze it in squares to make it each to chop off what I need.

I let scapes & root dry before I cut them off. We are having rain every day & 100% humidity it might take a month. Cut them too soon liquid drains out of the garlic for a week or more. These need to last about a year in the pantry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I let scapes & root dry before I cut them off. We are having rain every day & 100% humidity it might take a month. Cut them too soon liquid drains out of the garlic for a week or more. These need to last about a year in the pantry.
reminds me have to get down to the Amish market see if they have their scapes for sale yet. used up my last frozen piece couple days ago from last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I allow my hard neck garlic to grow until the gloves crack the skin then cure. The garlic keeps about seven months in my cold room. The cloves are larger and there is no downside that I have encountered. I cure around 100 bulbs. Always perfect. Zone 5.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I am still using garlic harvested last July, although it is softneck.
I plant all my garlic from last week September until third week October.
I plant approx 60 cloves, 30 of each, as the hardneck is slightly higher quality, but does not keep as long.

Ask a Question