Hardening off seedlings when you work full time

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown all my vegetable starts from seed this year. I understand the concept of hardening off your seedlings before planting them, but, I work away from the home 5 days a week and it it not possible for me to put them out for longer periods each day. Has anyone else faced this problem? If so, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

When the weather is confidently mild enough to put indoor-started seedlings outside, they usually can be left out all day. Depending on the weather, it may even be fine to immediately leave them out overnight.
However, if the forecast suggest that it will still be too cold to safely leave them out, wait until the weather becomes milder.
Even indoors, it is good to have vegetable seedlings growing in a full-sun situation, such as a south-facing window, or under strong grow-lights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just looked at your temperatures for the coming week. If you can bring them in at night they will be fine in the daytime outside from Sunday onward.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

When the weather is confidently mild enough to put indoor-started seedlings outside, they usually can be left out all day. Depending on the weather, it may even be fine to immediately leave them out overnight.
However, if the forecast suggest that it will still be too cold to safely leave them out, wait until the weather becomes milder.
Even indoors, it is good to have vegetable seedlings growing in a full-sun situation, such as a south-facing window, or under strong grow-lights.
Thank you Marck! I do have them growing under lights -- doing really well -- just don't want to mess up now that I've gotten them this far. Appreciate the reply!

Ask a Question