I Need Help With My Cucumbers!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is appearing in all of my cucumbers. They are a yellow/orange color and it's really rattling my brain. They are Boston Pickling Cucumbers as well. What happened? Did I leave them on the vine too long? Do Boston Pickling Cucumbers turn yellow/orange? Thanks! :)

Attachments

• cucumer.jpg
    cucumer.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 418
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is appearing in all of my cucumbers. They are a yellow/orange color and it's really rattling my brain. They are Boston Pickling Cucumbers as well. What happened? Did I leave them on the vine too long? Do Boston Pickling Cucumbers turn yellow/orange? Thanks! :)
It looks like at first glance that you waited too long to pick. Is that a white area on the cuc or is that an anomaly in the pic. It appears to be either sunscald or too much water but if all of them are doing the same thing you are waiting too long to pick. They are best picked when green and still have the little stickers on them. All cucs will turn yellow when overripe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck and Garden State Gardener! Glad y'all told me so now this will not happen with the new ones that are growing. If you haven't guessed, I'm new to the gardening thing. At least I have some new ones growing (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chuck and Garden State Gardener! Glad y'all told me so now this will not happen with the new ones that are growing. If you haven't guessed, I'm new to the gardening thing. At least I have some new ones growing (y)
You are quite lucky then, IF that is the problem.
Allowing them to ripen often stops the plant from producing more.
Cucumbers also turn yellow when they are immature when they abort.
Just to check, what size are the cukes when mature?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That too soon to ripen syndrome sometimes happen to our mangoes and even sugar apple. A farmer said that the tree or plant lacks nutrition hence it happens. Until now we still cannot find a remedy to that. The usual victim of that syndrome is our dragon fruit plant which is now fruiting. The bud grows big before it blooms into a flower. That stage is very critical because some of the buds turn yellow even before it blooms... and eventually fall off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Head Full Of Bees! I have other cucumbers that are green, so I think I just need to pick them now and it should be good. Thanks Corzhens too! Glad to not be the only one to encounter it! That's really cool, thanks for sharing. Gosh I love so many people helping:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Head Full Of Bees! I have other cucumbers that are green, so I think I just need to pick them now and it should be good. Thanks Corzhens too! Glad to not be the only one to encounter it! That's really cool, thanks for sharing. Gosh I love so many people helping:)
The maximum length of you cucs is between 4-5 inches on average and they will get this long fairly quickly. In diameter they will get bigger and bigger until they start turning yellow. Depending upon the type of pickle you want, you pick accordingly. Small, about 2 1/2 inches for gerkins, 3 - 3 1/2 inches for sour and 4 inches for dills. They will have little warts on them with spines or stickers on the warts. Harvest before the little stickers or spines disappear. When they disappear the cuc then starts to grow in diameter, sometimes as much as to 3"+ before they start to turn yellow but the quality of the fruit when it is a large diameter is poor

Ask a Question