I had two options......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......(1) continue to look at plants with no produce (to speak of) or (2) pull everything up, except the asparagus and collards, and get ready for the fall planting. Option 2, it is....... incorporating 125#s of Black Kow in each cleaned out bed.....Now we wait.....
20180720_114059.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are making me itchy to do the same. I have 3 empty rows where zuchinni were, and 4 of yellow squash about to be cleared. What is on tap for fall planting? Nice flamingo!
Going to plant out mustard greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, lettuce, beets, cabbage, more collards, sugar peas and.....I'm sure that I am leaving something out

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I make compost. The heat and old growth I remove are timed just right to kick off a pile quickly. Usually it is ready for winter bedding.
I make compost, for the asparagus bed, in a compost tumbler and I have a 4X4X4 compost bin behind the greenhouse going.......which is cooking pretty well. Good chance it will go in the beds before planting. Did incorporate some bone meal in the beds and plan on adding some rock dust, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just side dressed my tomatoes with 2 shovels of homemade compost and 1/2 cup dry fertilizer each. There is no shortage of potent dry amendments to add.

Try langbeinite as a rock amendment. It’s a major source of potassium, sulfur, and magnesium and replaces epsom salts. Don’t forget calcium for new soil; I do chitin in crab/shrimp meal plus oyster shell meal. Also azomite, zeolite, and glacial rock dust are excellent additives.

And you’re missing kale. I just harvested a few thousand ragged jack seeds. These stupid things grow in 120F greenhouses and down to 10 in winter. Outperforms hybrid kale and easier to clean than curled varieties.
17FDD6A2-9777-442F-82A8-37B486652246.jpeg

Attachments

• 3B1D9339-0935-4D15-AB6A-FE2F13886BD0.jpeg
    3B1D9339-0935-4D15-AB6A-FE2F13886BD0.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used langbeinite for the first time this year. I got it after planting and side dressed it but I am sure it helped. I am going after a lot of edible greens, spinach included. I have a bunch of peas in waiting. Have you started seeding indoors yet?

I’ve been using it for 3-4 years now. It’s potent stuff and keeps it organic/natural. For everything slightly acidic it’s a must add amendment, IMO, because of the sulfur and high potassium. Tomatoes love this stuff.

I won’t do indoor seedlings for fall. I simply direct sow all my stuff in Aug/Sep inside a greenhouse. It’ll be large sized by Xmas and survive until July. Lettuce, kale, mustards, peas, & onions. I can also just randomly toss the seeds around like a drunk instead of have to tend seedlings indoors for 6-8 weeks.

I do need to get out and amend/water the 3 greenhouse beds but I still got purple kale in 1 bed in there and pulled a nice onion yesterday. Also removing hornets nests that are too large in the doorways. I’m adding like a wheelbarrow of compost/manure to top them off, a few pounds of dry amendments and then direct sow.
3C02CBF9-847C-4244-A862-C3570541642F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I seriously think I am coming up out of the ground here. It was\is just brutal fighting the wetness. Is your green house heated at all in January?

Ask a Question