Climbing plant options

Reaction score
hi all,

See pic attached sorry its blurry. against the white fence a few years ago i had 29 arborvitaes but i lost them over the winter due to a crazy amount of rain.

Anyway last year i planted climbing ivy as i would like to cover my neighbors fence. As you can tell he prefers white and i prefer the dark stain. of course my neighbor said he would love to see ivy growing as he already has ivy as it doesn't lose its leaves in the winter.

The ivy seems to be doing pretty good and i was think about adding a few clematis vines to the mix to give it some color in the summer. any suggestions on what colors would look good with purple wisteria flowers let me know.

so this comes to my last question. i would also like to plant some colorful ground cover across the mulch bed. But here is the catch. The mulch bed has heavy duty landscaper fabric going across, which i like as it keeps the weeds out. There are 29 holes from where the arbors used to be. Problem is does ground cover need to push through the fabric or does it sort of just creep its way across? i am not sure if i want to give up the fabric for the ground cover if it means i am going to be weeding all summer. also suggestions on type of ground cover that would look well with the wysteria / clematis and ground cover.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• 20130411_192132.jpg
    20130411_192132.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 428
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mike, welcome to the forums :)

Regarding the colour choice, it depends on what look you are going for. Pink works well with purple, but if you want something dramatic then yellow is purple's complementary colour (ie they are at opposite sides of the colour wheel and complement each other). There is a clematis called Golden Tiara which would look gorgeous next to purple! Alternatively you could have a mix of purples which would give a block of colour in the garden, and against the white fence would look really pretty.

What kind of ground cover have you looked at so far? Heather and thyme are good for ground cover, and they have pretty flowers over winter.

Reaction score
thanks for the repsonses, looks like my wife wants to go with more purple, so we are now thinking of putting purple clematis and possibly creeping tyme, but reading online is creeping tyme a perrenial? looks like some sites say it wont grow in colder climates.

i am outside philly. any advice?

Ask a Question