Water Collection Options

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I didn't want to hijack the rainwater collection thread so I started a new discussion to share with the community some of the specific things I have been looking at for collecting and storing rainwater. One thing I'm looking forward to experimenting with is rain saucers:

2d480fce214e5847354173216305f367.jpg
301939_1043241_1424712686.jpg

This idea appeals to me on many different levels. If you'd like more info on this product you can find it here:
http://rainsaucers.com/products.htm

This is a "gutterless rain barrel" system. Clever, but it does take up a bit of space.
73999f9c2aac80d5e7f86bf64062c536.jpg

The idea is that you use your DIY "gutter" to capture rain runoff where gutters don't exist on the house/building.

I like the cosmetic appeal of this idea, but again, it does take up a bit of space.

099e97c8224d5a49b807fd4602d6da98.jpg

This is a really cool system that stores water under your deck.

e2f8d43a7943e8d4e6ce966687c72e39.jpg

These rainwater HOGS (invented by a woman) can be installed vertically or horizontally according to your need and can even be ordered in custom colors.

772d47a07bdfdd56665bf79049551220.jpg
849d6ceede0bc37e772d970825096fdd.jpg

Right now I am unintentionally collecting water in large planters that I hadn't gotten around to putting holes or plants in yet. Collecting the water is easy - storing it is another matter.

This is the ultimate in rainwater collection and distribution.
c782408faa7bc03c3f3dfcf6ec97231b.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Build a pond. :) Mine stores a lot of rain water. I have a hose hooked up to water plants off the pond and the plan is to then refill the pond.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool Chanell, missed this one :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When our house was being constructed we had planned for outlets leading to a place from where water to be channelised to trees. These outlets were connected to wash basins, baths and kitchen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I love the rain saucer idea, Chanell, thank you so much for posting this. I have a rain barrel since Saturday (I'm just taking care of it for a friend, maybe for a couple of years) and I was telling my husband if we put it next to the house to collect the rain from the roof I won't be able to use it in the garden. The rain saucer could solve my problem :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When our house was being constructed we had planned for outlets leading to a place from where water to be channelised to trees. These outlets were connected to wash basins, baths and kitchen

Nice! Sounds like the design incorporated into Earthships where the house plumbing system is set up to allow for the recycling of grey water. I have taken water from cooking and from washing vegetables and used it for watering the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the rain saucer idea, Chanell, thank you so much for posting this. I have a rain barrel since Saturday (I'm just taking care of it for a friend, maybe for a couple of years) and I was telling my husband if we put it next to the house to collect the rain from the roof I won't be able to use it in the garden. The rain saucer could solve my problem :)

Isn't it cool? I like the idea that you can place it anyplace and collect water without the need of a gutter and downspout. Also, you don't have to worry about dirt and stuff that can collect on some rooftops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Nice! Sounds like the design incorporated into Earthships where the house plumbing system is set up to allow for the recycling of grey water. I have taken water from cooking and from washing vegetables and used it for watering the garden.

This way there is no work involved. Water goes to trees automatically.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Isn't it cool? I like the idea that you can place it anyplace and collect water without the need of a gutter and downspout. Also, you don't have to worry about dirt and stuff that can collect on some rooftops.

Apart from rain harvesting there is yet another concept here where we are encouraged to dig pits in our compound for rain water to soak in which will finally go to reservoirs that help keep the wells wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
rain chains are an ancient tool, with new technology that can direct rainwater runoff to a better area.

Remember that water, stored open to the elements, can be a huge breeding ground for mosquito and other pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh gotcha. I'm in a small town with a small yard that had a hole in the ground so I dug a pond last year and now I'm all pond addicted and trying to push my addiction onto other people. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Remember that water, stored open to the elements, can be a huge breeding ground for mosquito and other pests.

I live in Louisiana; I know all about it.

Oh gotcha. I'm in a small town with a small yard that had a hole in the ground so I dug a pond last year and now I'm all pond addicted and trying to push my addiction onto other people. :)

I have wanted a container pond for decades. I visited someone over the weekend who had a really neat pond with a pergola type structure that had a mesh "roof". Now that I have a way to keep leaves out I just may get one!

Ask a Question