I forgot to plant strawberries

Reaction score
We bought a house right before spring and I tried planting as much as I could during the hustle and bustle but I didn't get to start a strawberry bed. This may be wishful thinking...but would it be useful to start a bed now, just so it will be that much more established next spring? Would the strawberry plants even grow now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The nurseries where I live are still selling strawberries in hanging pots, so I don't see why not. It's pretty hot and humid here, but my strawberries are still producing. Whether the plants will still be thriving come July will be another story. I may have to move them to a more shady area.

Reaction score
You can still plant them all though I have found that I have better luck with the plants if I wait until the Fall. As ChanellG mentioned you might still be able to get hanging plants that are in bloom.

Reaction score
Strawberries can be planted at any time. You may not have a crop this year unless you buy the ever bearing ones. You still have time to get the benefit of the runners. You can plant now and let one runner grow from each plant. When the runners have a few roots, you can cut them free and move them to a chosen location (or leave them where they are). This way you will have twice as many plants for the following year.

Keep in mind that the plants will live for many years but will only produce good crops for three or four years. You want to have new runners growing every year and you want to remove the older plants which are no longer as productive. It is a good idea to plant the runners in a separate part of the garden to keep track of how old the plants are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Washington and so everything here blooms late. If you lived in this area, you could plant them and will have a crop growing in no time.

Ask a Question