Forgot to Loosen Root Ball

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Members,

Yesterday I received two 3 Gal (2-2.5 ft) Windmill Palm Trees I bought online. Both of them arrived in great condition, but the soil in the pots was already loosened up from shipping and it was pretty easy to see most of the main roots exposed.

When planting them I dug a hole that was twice as wide as the pot itself, carefully removed them, placed them in the hole, covered the root ball, added water, and then covered the area with about 2" of mulch, leaving raised rings.

My concern is that I didn't fully loosen the root ball and spread the roots like most instructions suggest. Since I just planted them, is it "safe" to carefully dig them up, loosen/spread the roots and cover them back up or should I leave them alone.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170513_154918[1].jpg
    20170513_154918[1].jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As long as the roots werent growing around the rootball you will be fine. The other important thing is to soak the rootball for 20 mins or so :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips. I am going to leave them alone. I've got a couple more coming so I will be sure to make sure I don't forget any steps when I plant those and hope for the best.

Ask a Question