I bought a John Deere s170

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Title says it. The L130 it replaces has 442 hours. Roughly 17 years old the K46 transmission was not designed to service and is half speed. This year I noticed the 12 gauge deck is beginning to rust through holes in the forward places. The motor took a donk, lost a cylinder probably, saying that due to the gassy smell of the exhaust. Excellent machine I gave it hell. It even pulled my 13ft single axle trailer about for parking purpose.

R.I.P. I will miss you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roughly 17 years old the K46 transmission was not designed to service and is half speed.
I have an older Cub Cadet like that. What I did was drain the engine oil, remove the battery, hoist the front up in the air and let it back down a little bit so the mower is leaned backwards enough to remove the filler plug and drain the tranny oil. More trouble but it's possible. The oil actually came out silver. It still runs fine till this day though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have an older Cub Cadet like that. What I did was drain the engine oil, remove the battery, hoist the front up in the air and let it back down a little bit so the mower is leaned backwards enough to remove the filler plug and drain the tranny oil. More trouble but it's possible. The oil actually came out silver. It still runs fine till this day though.
I came very close to hacking the old mower but have a neighbor that has old jd gear so I gave him the mower.

Just came in from cutting and have not cut my grass that fast in recent memory. Its the stockholm syndrome. We get used to things and cannot do what we really need to do which is appropriately value that which impedes us.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
440 hours is barely broken in around here. :giggle:

I have the same horsepower in a diesel Kubota L2350 tractor that I paid $5000 back in 1991...and it's still worth what I paid for it.

It is headed to a nephew in Arkansas as I just replaced it with a brand-new Kubota L2501 with about the same horsepower but front-end loader and 4wheel drive.... should be good for more decades than I will last.

kubota 3.JPG

My 50 hp Kubota with backhoe and loader is a workhorse from the mid-80's has "only" 2400 hours on it and I expect it to outlast me easily. That was the tractor that bent the rod on the molasses penetration test.
penetration.jpg o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I probably could make a tractor work as a mower but really it would not cut in a refined way like the stamped decks. Having said that I would dearly love a backhoe loader, even a small one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Chuck I see your kubota weighs 4x the mower. I know they are all bout torque and could not find the torque rating for the kubota. My mower tranny is listed at 170ft-lbs. I was curious if you knew its limits.

Ask a Question