Hungry Bunnies

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best way to keep the rabbits from chewing up the greens in my garden? There are so many rabbits running around in my neighborhood. What can be done to keep them away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Can you fence off your garden? I think it would be the best solution. There are no bunnies in my area, but I have an always hungry, little dog. A fence keeps him away from my parents' vegetables and poisonous plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A barrier of some sort is the only way. I use 2 ft chicken wire. You will also have to bury it about 4" deep as they will dig under

Reaction score
Country
United States
A barrier of some sort is the only way. I use 2 ft chicken wire. You will also have to bury it about 4" deep as they will dig under

Yup. Make sure to dig down. I suggest 6" because our rabbits around here are tenacious and in very high numbers in the spring and summer seasons. I used a mesh chicken wiring as well, so they have no way of biting through it with their chompers. Because believe me, when they find their free meals blocked they are going to be mad :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would recommend the little ornamental fences around your gardens, that should keep them away. Since they are hungry, you could try compromising with them and leave some bunny feed and cut up veggies in various parts of your yard away from the gardens. My mom loves the little bunnies that come out to play in her yard.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea of giving them food away from you garden sounds good, would doing that attract more bunnies to yard requiring you to feed more and more bunnies.

I saw a post on pinterest that suggested putting cut up citrus pieces around your plants to deter the pest in gardens. Give that a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It might attract more bunnies depending on the population of the critters where you live. There seem to never be more than 5 at any given time at my mom and dad's house, so it has not been a problem for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'd say fencing off the garden sounds like the best solution, but if I had this problem, I'd probably try to trap some and make a stew or something with them as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fencing it off seems the best route because even leaving out stuff that may deter them via smell, that typically washes away in rain. Also if there's a couple sniffing out your garden then more will come.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A predator essence works. They smell it and go. Be careful though... if you choose the wrong one, it will attract the other sex of that predator to your yard. My mom used to use a snake essence of a species that only lives in Peru. Worked really well and kept a lot of species of snakes out of the garden too. LMAO

Reaction score
I would recommend the little ornamental fences around your gardens, that should keep them away. Since they are hungry, you could try compromising with them and leave some bunny feed and cut up veggies in various parts of your yard away from the gardens. My mom loves the little bunnies that come out to play in her yard.

I liked your idea, because it doesn't involve doing any harm to the bunnies =D Feeding them sounds like something nice, and a more effective to stop them from doing what they do best (eat eat eat) ;) I'll definitely try that if I ever have that problem in my future place.

Ask a Question