Hummingbirds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
this year, its upsetting. something is the matter. only saw a pair early on. none in last two months. and they usually dart about the honeysuckle vine like crazy. I change the food every 4 days. last year had two pair. then saw their babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A few days back I was looking out the window at my messy willow tree, only to see a humming bird darting among the blooms on the tree. Never thought of a willow having nectar in the amounts needed for a humming bird. New discovery for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
A few days back I was looking out the window at my messy willow tree, only to see a humming bird darting among the blooms on the tree. Never thought of a willow having nectar in the amounts needed for a humming bird. New discovery for me.
I am thinking they are looking for pollen which is protein.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I get them every day now, but I was very surprised in watching them sip from the flowers of the Moringa tree. It's not a native tree and not very common here and it has white flowers....always heard they go after the colorful flowers...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Things are better over here than early in the spring. Seems I have 2 couples again. The other morning sipping coffee on the deck one hovered 6 inches from my face, its awesome when that happens. As an FYI, my late blooming Yellow Wax bells seem to be their love, as they dart about the flowers. The honeysuckle vine continues to flower. And my feeder is changed every 3 days for fresh sugar water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those mexican sunflowers look beautiful, orange is my favorite color, perhaps i will get some next year

They're awesome! Starting to really bloom now, and Monarch and hummingbird migration should be picking up soon. Hopefully the Mexican Sunflowers will be as busy as they were last year. I've already been seeing quite a few hummingbirds and butterflies on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_3340.JPG
Baby Hummingbird.jpg

I love having the hummingbirds and will miss them when they leave later this month. The first photo I took early August with my SLR camera. The second (bad ) photo was taken quickly with my phone of what I believe to be a juvenile hummingbird. One thing to remember if you have feeders out is to thoroughly wash them when changing the food. The mold that can build up in the feeding ports will kill the birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got quite a few plants that the hummingbirds like, but the two recent additions to my yard late last year are doing well now and I've noticed that the hummingbirds spend quite a bit of time on them: Coral Honeysuckle (it's a host plant also...and attracts birds) and the Shrimp plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hummingbirds are attracted to gardens with a variety of brightly colored flowers, especially those that are red, orange, and pink. Here are some tips to attract hummingbirds to your garden:

1. Plant nectar-rich flowers: Hummingbirds feed on nectar from flowers. Planting flowers that are rich in nectar, such as bee balm, salvia, fuchsia, and petunias, will attract hummingbirds.

2. Use feeders: Hummingbird feeders are another way to attract hummingbirds to your garden. Fill the feeder with a mixture of four parts water to one part sugar. Change the mixture frequently to keep it fresh.

3. Provide perches: Hummingbirds need to rest between flights. Provide perches, such as small twigs or branches, for them to rest on.

4. Offer water: Hummingbirds also need water for bathing and drinking. A small water fountain or a shallow dish of water can attract them.

5. Avoid using pesticides: Hummingbirds are sensitive to pesticides, so avoid using them in your garden. Instead, try natural pest control methods, such as using ladybugs to control aphids.

By incorporating these tips into your garden, you can attract hummingbirds and enjoy their beauty and energy.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

I love hummingbirds and was afraid there would be none here, but it looks like the ruby-throated hummingbird is common to this area. I found the information here:

Do yall do anything specific to attract hummingbirds? Do you like hummingbirds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
First sighting of hummers in my garden in early spring is when they dart about the Virginia Blue bells, (which are not brightly colored). I know then its time to put out my feeder for them, with no food coloring. I boil sugar and water, let get cold, keep a supply in fridge for refilling. They also like my honey suckle which will bloom later on my deck railing. And they like Phloxs, And in August they like my Yellow Wax bells, a medium yellow colored flower, (again--not bright colored) .

Ask a Question