Hummingbirds

Reaction score
I love hummingbirds and was afraid there would be none here, but it looks like the ruby-throated hummingbird is common to this area. I found the information here:

Do yall do anything specific to attract hummingbirds? Do you like hummingbirds?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've tried hummingbird feeders. They occasionally come for them and the Oriole feeder. I've seen them attracted to a plant called Coral Bells but only occasionally at best.

This year I grew Mexican Sunflowers and I have seen more Hummingbirds than ever. I didn't plant them in an attempt to attract hummingbirds, so its been a great surprise. They are here at nearly every hour on most days. The bright orange color attracts them, butterflies, and bumble bees too.

You can buy them as Burpee Seeds. Plant them in Spring after frost in an area that is sunny. They like dry soil but may need occasional watering depending on the weather. They are annuals, so if you want them every year, you can collect their seeds and replant the next spring. Keep in mind these are large plants. The packet says 4'-6', which has been true for most of my plants, however, two of them are at 8' and growing!

I'm thrilled and will be growing more next year, but in a more open area.

DSCN6418.png

DSCN6445.png

IMG_7450.png

I should also point out that I did have an issue with them tipping over in a recent downpour. I was able to save them, but some lower branches snapped. I have them tied to the fence now:

IMG_7463.png

Reaction score
You ave such a beautiful garden area. Hummingbirds in my area really like trumpet vines,, they have a nice orangy red flower. Several years ago I had a back yard with a huge willow tree. I hung a number of humming bird feeders and had a very large amount coming to feed. In face, there were so many hummingbirds that some days I had to refill the feeders,,, after refilling them the night before. They got so used to seeing me refilling the feeders, they would land in my hair and on my shoulders. I love your picture of th hummer at the flower.

Reaction score
Well, one thing I have seen in my country is something like this:

Colibr%C3%ADes_2.JPG

The use honey diluted in water, it usually attracts a lot hummingbirds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a hummingbird in person:( Unfortunately, those adorable, little creatures don't live in my climate zone. It's too cold for them here. If t wasn't, I'd do anything to attract them to my garden. They're so pretty!

I really like these hummingbird feeders:

Mini-Blossom_20Stakes-473x473.jpg

Reaction score
WOW! JB I am definitely going to try those if they grow in my area. Claudine I am going to look for some feeders like that. I like them better than the standard feeders. Evelyn that sounds neat. Wish you had a picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saw a hummingbird recently in someone else's yard and it just cemented my resolve to put together a small garden plot of plants exclusively for hummingbirds and butterflies. One of my new favorite flowers, bat face, is a variety of cigar flower that is quite popular with hummingbirds. I've also been given a small blue porterweed plant - very popular with butterflies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
IMG_4807 (2).JPG
saw this "OLD" thread at the bottom. So thought I'd answer, as it seems I did not before. Anyway, this year, have two pairs about. I use sugar water and change it every 4 days. to me it does not need to be full like the above picture, keep mine only 1/8 full, as I dump it every 4 days, for fresh. My feeder is like above pic, as I have seen they like to sit also. In the early spring I know they have arrived with I see them darting around my virginia blue bells. I have a honeysuckle vine on the deck that was bought for them, it blooms 4 times during the season. in August my yellow wax bells are a hit. One of my treasured vacations was at Ramsey Canyon, to see 28 species of hummers migrate in. so wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just planted some pineapple sage for the hummingbirds in the garden of a friend. Last season they were in love it seems with the Mexican petunias and blue porterweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
Hummingbirds in Michigan love Jacob Cline... I have some planted in the Detroit suburbs zone 6 and then my place in northeastern lower Peninsula zone 4. Slowly spreads but is very manageable and easy to divide and transplant to encourage spreading.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I still grow Mexican Sunflowers for the hummingbirds' autumn migration. They absolutely love it. It's great for the Monarch butterflies during migration, too. I had a few dozen monarchs at once last autumn!
IMG_3884 copy.jpg

IMG_3911 copy.jpg

IMG_5006 copy.jpg

Since my 2015 post, I've added a lot more plants specifically to help hummingbirds throughout the entire year.

Before the first species bloom, I hang my oriole feeder, which attracts hummingbirds, too. After the orioles stop showing up, I put it away because my hummingbird-friendly plants start blooming.

Eastern Red Columbine is the first to bloom for the hummers, in May.
IMG_1817 copy.jpg

As columbine starts to wind down, other species start to take over.

Blue Giant Hyssop
IMG_1445 copy.jpg

Scarlet Bee Balm
IMG_1429 copy.jpg

Cardinal Flower
IMG_3076 copy.jpg

Great Blue Lobelia
IMG_4290 copy1.jpg

I wanted to make my garden more hummingbird-themed, and it's been working nicely. I saw more hummingbirds last year than ever before, and I hope the trend continues as more plants bloom this year and into the future. I continue to collect seeds from those plants and scatter more around each year. I want my yard to be a miniature sanctuary for wildlife.

EDIT: Here's a video I took last year.

Ask a Question