How to water plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Any good methods on watering container plants deeply? I can't water from bottom up. I tried drip irrigation but I don't think it works well.

Best method for watering plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any good methods on watering container plants deeply? I can't water from bottom up. I tried drip irrigation but I don't think it works well.

Best method for watering plants?
I use drip irrigation on about 1/4 acre and it works great. What type of drip system do you have? Inline? Terminal end? other?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You talking outside or inside plants, or both?

I don't have any sort of irrigation system and quite a few container plants (annuals and veggies mostly.)

I put the hose on a slow trickle and water containers that way. I have...I dunno, 12-15. While I'm waiting for the container to saturate, I busy myself with other things like deadheading and weeding,* move hose to the next container, rinse and repeat.

*Or I scratch my butt, drink coffee, contemplate life, check my mobile device... :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I just use a bottle with a hole poked in the cap. I know. Cheap solution. I just don't see the soil getting saturated. I use a 2 liter bottle for a large container.

Beth. Your idea was pretty cool. I can put a dripping hose over a container? I think that can work. How long do I leave it running until it's watered?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just use a bottle with a hole poked in the cap. I know. Cheap solution. I just don't see the soil getting saturated. I use a 2 liter bottle for a large container.

Beth. Your idea was pretty cool. I can put a dripping hose over a container? I think that can work. How long do I leave it running until it's watered?
COME ON GIRL. You know as well as anyone else how large your container is and how much water a plastic bottle holds. Use you common sense

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
There isn't a hard and fast rule to follow, it's a simple case of observing your plant, and interacting with it. By "interacting" we mean touching the soil surface and just below that to see if it is moist or dry. If it's not too big or heavy you can also pick it up; a pot or container which is heavily saturated with water will be much heavier than a pot which has completely dried out. There are also instruments you can buy which beep or light up when it's time to water again.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a hole in a cap on a soda bottle, cut of the bottom and inserted it into the container to water the plants deeply.

Ask a Question