Determining when to water indoor plants by examining soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new caring for houseplants and indoor gardening. Am still in the process of learning. Is it like a skill? Anyway. I have read on other forums that you can check when the best time to water a plant would be by sticking you finger into the soil, and if it is damp or wet an inch down, and on the surface it does not need watering at the time. But if it is dry to the touch that it needs to be watered and this is the best time to do it.

Last summer when I had indoor plants I watered once every week. But recently I have been reading that it is better to not have a schedule or routinely way of watering the plants, as plants do not care about time and schedule haha. Well my reason for bringing this up is because It has been over a week since watering, and the plants are still damp slightly to the touch. I mean like 3 days over a week. I used to have the habit of watering them once a week. So even if it has been over a week and the soil of the plants is still damp to the touch even if slightly, it might mean it doesn't need water yet, and this could possibly cause over watering.

What if the plant is not dry, but not too wet either. If you stick your finger an inch in the soil it feels slightly damp to the touch, but not wet or dry.

What if the plant is dry an inch down, but the surface is still damp?

Just examined one of my plants. It is slightly dry on top, but not dry to where the soil is hard. Underneath the surface, it is still damp. So would it be time to water when it is dry to the touch, like not damp at all?

So if the soil is dry to the touch, it needs water. And if it is still slightly damp, it does not. Some of them are in larger containers and the soil is deep. I don't know if that matters. Anyway I have been watering them when the soil is dry to the touch and have stuck my finger an inch down to feel if it is damp. This is what I've read on other forums. What do you guys of this forum think of this? Sound practical.

Have been leaving them in brightly lit rooms all day, so they can get sun. I don't know about plant fertilizer or plant food or whatever, on the tags they say apply plant fertilizer/plant food every 2 weeks or so. Still learning about that but I would rather get the basics down pat first before moving on to that stuff. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think each plant is different. Some indoor plants like moist soil and others are drought tolerant.

Ask a Question