Exactly when to water Tomato Transplants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm new to tomato growing. I've read that you don't want to water too much. I currently have a few I've started from seed in 6" pots waiting for transplant into the fall green house. When looking at the pot, the top inch or so is very dry. But below that, the moisture levels are very sufficient (both observation and the meter indicate this). There is yellowing on some leaves which looks like over watering to me. But with the very dry top inch of mix, is it time to water? Should I only water enough to moisten the top inch of the mix? I'm in Oklahoma and using a basic potting mix.

Thank you!

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not yet time to water.
Tomatoes have tap roots which means they'll cope.
Also, light water stress makes the plants more resilient, and encourages them to fruit earlier.

Welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm new to tomato growing. I've read that you don't want to water too much. I currently have a few I've started from seed in 6" pots waiting for transplant into the fall green house. When looking at the pot, the top inch or so is very dry. But below that, the moisture levels are very sufficient (both observation and the meter indicate this). There is yellowing on some leaves which looks like over watering to me. But with the very dry top inch of mix, is it time to water? Should I only water enough to moisten the top inch of the mix? I'm in Oklahoma and using a basic potting mix.

Thank you!

John
Watering should only be done when the plant tells you it is thirsty and the plant tells you it is thirsty when it is wilted or droopy in the morning, not in the afternoon when it is hot. A rule of thumb: When you stick your index finger all the way into the soil, remove it and then blow on it, if you finger feels the least bit cool then the plant does not need watering at that time. When you water you should completely and deeply soak the soil and when in containers from the bottom up. You can and will kill a plant by watering too often but on the other hand you cannot water a plant too much at one time. The excess water will either drain off in the case of a container plant or be absorbed by surrounding soil in the case of a plant in the ground. A little stress of not being watered will not hurt most vegetable plants. In fact a little stress helps in production

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! :) What types of tomatoes are you growing?

What they ^^ said, and it's fine to let the plant get a bit stressed. I have read that commercial growers intentionally under-water tomatoes for better yield.
We have ample rain where I live so I rarely water my vegetables. Pretty much as stated - if they start drooping and looking limp early in the day, they get water. Otherwise not. Over-watering is probably the single most common mistake people make with plants of any sort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

You are receiving great advice. Even better, update your profile to add your zone and nearest metropolis and advice from these prople will be carved to relate to your growing area.

Cheers, Lori, novice gardener, still awestruck by this community :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Welcome! :) What types of tomatoes are you growing?

What they ^^ said, and it's fine to let the plant get a bit stressed. I have read that commercial growers intentionally under-water tomatoes for better yield.
We have ample rain where I live so I rarely water my vegetables. Pretty much as stated - if they start drooping and looking limp early in the day, they get water. Otherwise not. Over-watering is probably the single most common mistake people make with plants of any sort.

Over-watering is probably the single most common mistake people make with plants of any sort.

My opinion also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcomes and the great answers! I've started out with a variety called "Bush." I chose this because of the short maturity date (62 days) and because I got started a little late. They'll be in my small greenhouse I'm building but I don't know how warm it will stay as it gets cold this fall/winter. Anyway, it's a great learning experience and I'm hoping I'll be educated enough to start some indeterminets for next year! And thank you for the tip on adding my zone to my profile. I'm doing that right now!

Ask a Question