How to get rid of fruit tree pests

Reaction score
Country
United States
How can i get rid of these pests...they're in my fruit tree containers...i usually spray them with soapy water...are they harmful to the trees?...attached are some pictures, i know they're hard to see

Attachments

• IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 262
Reaction score
Honestly, the world is full of insects and bugs,if we are to worry about and destroy them,and you can't even identify them, how do we know they are doing no harm?

Everything is part of the food chain, live and let live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It looks like some type of little fly and I don't think many flies are considered pests to plants. Actually, there is a fly that is very beneficial to plants, but I bet many gardeners don't even realize their importance to the garden.

Meet the Long-legged fly. https://ediblesanmarcos.wordpress.c...egged-fly-dolichopodidae-genus-condylostylus/

Excerpt:

What Does He Eat?

The long legged fly eats soft-bodied invertebrates. Adult flies are predaceous on small mites , Aphids and flea hoppers, booklice, thrips, flies, silverfish, small caterpillars and other insects. You really want to have this little guy in your yard and in your garden. He is a very beneficial little guy.

He will eat nectar from flowers of needed for a carbohydrate source. So remember to have a source of small flowers close by for all of your beneficials!

100_1439_2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
It looks like some type of little fly and I don't think many flies are considered pests to plants. Actually, there is a fly that is very beneficial to plants, but I bet many gardeners don't even realize their importance to the garden.

Meet the Long-legged fly. https://ediblesanmarcos.wordpress.c...egged-fly-dolichopodidae-genus-condylostylus/

Excerpt:

What Does He Eat?

The long legged fly eats soft-bodied invertebrates. Adult flies are predaceous on small mites , Aphids and flea hoppers, booklice, thrips, flies, silverfish, small caterpillars and other insects. You really want to have this little guy in your yard and in your garden. He is a very beneficial little guy.

He will eat nectar from flowers of needed for a carbohydrate source. So remember to have a source of small flowers close by for all of your beneficials!

This is an excellent post. It has personal comment, it is informative and the comments and information are supported. (y) I would like to like it twice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@roadrunner...thank you for the information re the Long-legged fly. I have been smacking these on my plants for a few years now, and now i wonder why i never got an ID? Of course, i might still smack them if there are caterpillars in the garden but when there are no caterpillars i will now leave them alone. It is great to know what they are and what they eat.:)

Ask a Question