How Gardening Has Changed Over the Years...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:D It's a bummer, leave home at 6am, don't get back till 5 or 6pm :(

The bench is in a good place, don't get that hot in England :D
I guess we have a different variety of bench, yours requiring full sun and mine morning sun and afternoon shade. I have discovered that my bench will not get root rot no matter how many times a day I water around it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Apart from my Grandparents growing a few Raspberries and my Dad keeping a formal garden, it's been me that's got into growing food.

Started at the age of 7 when my neighbour gave me some spare Beetroot to plant out, then moved on to Radishes and Sweet Corn.

Since then i've learned about most aspects of growing your own, still got plenty to learn though. Still get defeated by slugs and plant diseases, but usually have something to make a meal out of going on :)

I have heard many times that slugs and snails are a major problem over there. When I Iived in Houston I had slugs and someone told me to copiously spread coffee grounds around the plant. It worked. I have never liked coffee so the hardest part was finding the grounds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a bell cloche.
It's for protecting plants from mild frosts.
The only thing over here that resembles that are streetlight shades, big, heavy glass things that are now replaced by little plastic covers. Never seen anything even similar over here but then I don't go anywhere much anymore

Reaction score
@Trellum I hope that one day you will be able to have your organic garden. :D

@Chuck When I was younger I remember for the vegetable garden 7Dust being used often. I do remember one year putting minnows in the holes with the plants/seeds. That is all I can remember of the fertilizing methods my Mama and aunt used. I am not sure about my uncle and the large corn fields. I like the sound of your compost piles when you were younger and the Dr. Pepper plant giving you the leftovers for your compost. Perhaps you could elaborate on your composting methods more if you would like to share.

It is good that you lived through the organic time frame and that you are still learning.

@Jewell you have such interesting answers. I would love to hear more of your stories. Please do tell us how well it worked out processing those 50 chickens that year! I was never able to get involved with that process. My Mama would always make me sit in the truck while they killed the chickens and then after they had them killed and their bodies ready for plucking that is when I could get out of the truck and play. It is interesting that both of your parents hunted too!

I have not seen Food Inc. yet but I will look it up on YouTube. I did have to go and look up Huglekultur. Interesting concept. Do you have any pictures of yours? If you do, please share. :D

@Gardener I am rather envious of your halving your grocery bill! Kudos to you.

@headfullofbees It is a very interesting story that you have. The prices for heirlooms are a bit high here in the states but well worth. We grow organically here as well but we find that we don't nearly have enough compost for our needs. I would love to have some more chickens and ducks to add to our resources.

@zigs Its good that the neighbor got you going on the gardening! Love the picture and of course the wine drinking bench! What are those plants there in the very front?

@MindyT I missed out on the berry bushes and plants when I was younger. We never had any of those. We only had veggies and we would pick wild blackberries, wild plums and grapes for our jams and jellies. As far as your son I think it is just an age thing. When I was young I loved the garden. When I reached the age of 10 and older I hated it until I got out on my own and found that it was therapeutic for me.

@Pat Very good reason to grow your own. How much of your own food do you think you supply your family with?

Reaction score
I might, Shelly. I truly think I will considering I'm starting to care more about my health and also starting to understand that we truly are what we eat!

Reaction score
@Trellum yes what we grow on our own is truly better than what we can buy. Buying organic is great when one can afford it.

@zigs They are very unique looking. Please take a picture of them flowering. :)

Ask a Question