EBT Cards Can Be Used to Purchase Gardening Plants

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this on another forum and thought I would pass it on here. For those that use EBT cards and like to garden, the EBT card can be used to purchase plants like tomatoe, peppers, beans for your garden.

If your state has approved these purchases with the EBT card. Walmart is one of the stores that has been approved.

Reaction score
I'm in Mississippi and I've seen it is allowed here. Nice idea IMO buy now and use less later!

Reaction score
TheFood Stamp Act was created back in the 1960's and is a national program. Now called SNAP or EBT it is available to all who need it in all fifty states. The criteria is the same, the benefits are the same.

Reaction score
We were referring to live plants being on the list of things that can be purchased with snap benefits.

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but I know a person who has. It's allowed here in most cities as far as I know, not sure about el paso. But I think in most of the US you can go for it. I think it's so cool, if I were gardening nowadays I'd surely go for it!

Reaction score
That is a nifty piece of information. I know a few people who are using EBT cards. I will let them know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The possible benefits are obvious, but there are dangers too.

Plants fail, humans make mistakes, and these are people on the breadline.

If it was up to me, people would be given plants if they could use them on top of their food stamps/benefits.

Reaction score
I guess a person could technically get a ginger plant with an EBT card, since all you have to do is buy a knob of ginger in the produce section and plant it.

Reaction score
I saw this on another forum and thought I would pass it on here. For those that use EBT cards and like to garden, the EBT card can be used to purchase plants like tomatoe, peppers, beans for your garden.

If your state has approved these purchases with the EBT card. Walmart is one of the stores that has been approved.
I am not sure I have never seen nobody do it. I know people with EBT cards I will have them try and see what happens. This is interesting if it works.

Reaction score
I have used my EBT card to buy both live garden plants ( peppers, tomatoes, ect) as well as vegetable seeds. It is a wonderful way to stretch my benefits since these purchases result in a lot of produce. I love vegies so this is a big help on my limited budget. I do not have a garden at this time, but in the past it has been a great way to expand the things I grew. I have several friends who are using their EBt cards to help with their gardens.

Reaction score
Well that makes a lot of sense. If people are smart and not lazy they'll use it for that. I doubt many people want to actually grow food though these days.

Reaction score

Wow!!! I had no idea that those plants was approved for purchase. That's great. I don't use EBT, but thinking back on a time when that was my only option I would of loved to know that. Instead of purchasing those items on a day to day basis your giving people the opportunity to have an abundance. Teaching them as well how important it is to eat healthy which is great too.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure it depends on where you actually live but it's worth looking into. :)

Reaction score
The possible benefits are obvious, but there are dangers too.

Plants fail, humans make mistakes, and these are people on the breadline.

If it was up to me, people would be given plants if they could use them on top of their food stamps/benefits.

I understand what you're saying, but most people who would take advantage of being able to get food plants with EBT cards are people who are already interested in plants and know how to take care of them. Your average person with no interest in gardening won't even bother to use their benefits to buy plants. So failure is possible but kind of unlikely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
FISHING SUPPLIES--[ie:poles/rods/reels/strein/ bl, some places offer a package-deal giving you an assortment of hand-tools/gloves/pots/even trellis which to e
bait/license/MORE], can be bought on EBT--"IF you live in rural-area or where stores are NOT within a reasonable dustance: Also the gardening seeds and plants; look for deals

Reaction score
Country
United States
FISHING SUPPLIES--[ie:poles/rods/reels/strein/ bl, some places offer a package-deal giving you an assortment of hand-tools/gloves/pots/even trellis which to e
bait/license/MORE], can be bought on EBT--"IF you live in rural-area or where stores are NOT within a reasonable dustance: Also the gardening seeds and plants; look for deals
TYPOS: "Excuse my smartphone but a spell-check app was included in original mainframe but it errors MORE than I do: I do NOT use emojus; plus it changes meanings also--SC

Ask a Question