How do you protect your vegetables from birds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live by a very large river and forest, so predators are problems here all of the time! It might be worth it for you to build a large fence around your garden and maybe even a mesh roof on top. I have a fence, and it does wonders! I don't have a roof, however, but that's not a problem, because I don't have a problem with birds. Predators really won't leave your stuff alone, unless you have a fence. Everything will try to eat at your garden, including squirrels! Something was eating my kale and other veggies a few months ago, and we had no idea how they got into the garden, until we realized that they would climb up a tree and dive into the garden from an overhead branch! Other than a fence, you can try the CD trick, invest in a scarecrow, or put motion sensor lights around your plants, to scare the animals. Wouldn't be cool if there was a motion detector that made noise at night? It might even exist! You should look into it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I know that I borrowed a page out of my neighbor's book, which they borrowed from the old scarecrow trick. They bought a statue of an owl that they perch right there by the garden, and it really does a great job at keeping the birds away. When it comes to other rodents and creatures it is a different story, but it works in this regard. Thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question