Protect my Bouganvillas from frost?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Australia
I wd like some tips on how to cover & wrap bouganvillas to get them through a frost?

I had one survive & one not last year. I've replaced it & purchased 3 more for pots on the verandah.

We sometimes have at least one -8 or -9 frost! But then nice warm days up to 18 or 20 degrees. If I can just get them past this mean frost it would be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a cloth fabric here called N-Sulate. It will add about 6 degrees of protection, maybe more if double wrapped.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is your plant hardiness zone? If you do not know it, you can find it here:
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-australia-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

Once you've found your zone, you can enter it in your user profile page (here)

If you want to keep bougainvillea outdoors all year long, it's best to be in hardiness zone 9 or higher. If you're in a colder, wetter zone, you can still grow bougainvillea if you plant it in a pot and bring it indoors for the winter.
  • Bougainvillea do best when night temperature don't drop below 60 °F (16 °C) and daytime temperatures don't exceed 100 °F (38 °C).
  • Bougainvillea can be wintered over in the basement or another low light area.
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bougainvillea

When you say it gets down to -8 or -9, I'm assuming you mean Celsius? Are you able to bring them inside on the really cold nights?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Australia
Yes -8 Celsius

No they are in big pots.
Actually today I have just bought 2 creepers Pandora's the ruby belle. To plant in at the base in the arbour. I know nothing about them so who knows if they will be suitable.
I should have researched before I purchased but the beautiful flowering label got me in!

I also want to fund out if the Trumpet vine will tolerate a heave frost.

Ask a Question