How can we embrace a huge wall our neighbours have just built?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours have just built an extension and we now have a huge wall down one side of our small garden. We would really appreciate some suggestions on how we could create a social space in this area and make the wall a feature we love rather than something that upsets us every time we look at it.
It’s a south facing wall but the section with the fence, nearest the house, only gets sun in the morning as the house blocks the sun later on. The garden faces east. We would love a space for friends with a fire pit, seating, fairy lights etc. the added complication is the sloping grass. To make it flat with decking or a patio we’d need to raise the garden above the damp proof layer of next door’s house which we obviously don’t want to do.
For context, we aren’t experienced gardeners but I enjoy gardening when I have time, I love growing things we can eat, or that wildlife can eat, and only want plants that are good for butterflies, bees or other nature.
The photos show what it was like before the wall and what it’s like now with the wall.
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Attachments

• 7F04A5D9-0475-4833-8B47-43F5B402CAB2.jpeg
    7F04A5D9-0475-4833-8B47-43F5B402CAB2.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 29
  • EE659A79-20B1-4835-AEC1-FF2B5CABAB67.jpeg
    EE659A79-20B1-4835-AEC1-FF2B5CABAB67.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 87B63331-422C-4AC5-8F6B-5921B07D2B9A.jpeg
    87B63331-422C-4AC5-8F6B-5921B07D2B9A.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To make it flat with decking or a patio we’d need to raise the garden above the damp proof layer of next door’s house
You would only have to have a retaining wall and a little gap to protect their DPC.

To me a wall like that cries out for a Virginia creeper to cover it. It wouldn't provide fruit, but it would give shelter for all sorts of insect life and nesting birds and go a beautiful red in Autumn without encroaching on your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Southern facing masonry will not only be the hottest area but will also serve to re-radiate that heat as ambient temps sink lower than the surface of the masonry. Probably good for winter warmth and protection? Which way do the prevailing winds blow in summer and winter? Can you attach to their wall in any way? I would not imagine so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@ DirtMechanic, a favourite saying of my father's "Other countries have climates , we have weather." Truly, we are an island and depending what weather fronts are over us we can get wind from any direction. The main 'prevailing' however is from the South West, coming up off the Atlantic, but Tewksbury is Gloucestershire, fairly inland as England goes.
One advantage of virginia creeper, no need to attach to the wall, it attaches itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Tilly. :) I was in Tewkesbury last year - a pretty area.

How about a pergola? You wouldn't need to raise the ground but could lower it on the paving slab side and create a step down to it. The pergola could be built against the wall and climbers grown up and over it. A link below to give you some ideas....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is a good idea, Sheal. When I see how Sean Regan's pergola and wisteria break up the aspect of his house it makes me realise it could make a real difference to that wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours have just built an extension and we now have a huge wall down one side of our small garden. We would really appreciate some suggestions on how we could create a social space in this area and make the wall a feature we love rather than something that upsets us every time we look at it.
It’s a south facing wall but the section with the fence, nearest the house, only gets sun in the morning as the house blocks the sun later on. The garden faces east. We would love a space for friends with a fire pit, seating, fairy lights etc. the added complication is the sloping grass. To make it flat with decking or a patio we’d need to raise the garden above the damp proof layer of next door’s house which we obviously don’t want to do.
For context, we aren’t experienced gardeners but I enjoy gardening when I have time, I love growing things we can eat, or that wildlife can eat, and only want plants that are good for butterflies, bees or other nature.
The photos show what it was like before the wall and what it’s like now with the wall.
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
In all honesty I think it's nicer now. Before it looked like someone else's house on the edge of your garden. Now it looks like a walled garden. Google for 'walled garden' and I bet you'll find something that inspires.

Another thing to consider if you feel closed in too much is to put a fake window or door on the wall (so something rustic). You can even get outdoor mirrors:

This one is a mirrored gate - so it will look as if there is a gateway through into another part of the garden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, they all make me feel much more hopeful and inspired! In answer to the prevailing wind question, I’m really not sure, it’s really sheltered by the wall because our house is the other side - I realised my photos didn’t show this so I’ve attached another one. I love the idea of a pergola but I’m not sure there’s enough space. We’ll definitely explore all the options suggested though!

Attachments

• 3CA725DC-8432-4AB9-BAE3-3538CA716DB7.jpeg
    3CA725DC-8432-4AB9-BAE3-3538CA716DB7.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, they all make me feel much more hopeful and inspired! In answer to the prevailing wind question, I’m really not sure, it’s really sheltered by the wall because our house is the other side - I realised my photos didn’t show this so I’ve attached another one. I love the idea of a pergola but I’m not sure there’s enough space. We’ll definitely explore all the options suggested though!
This is what the wall looks like from the other side. We only have a small amount of lawn (v dry at the moment!) and our garage is the other side of it so it’s a very sheltered garden.

Attachments

• EC2294DC-FD52-40BF-9ADB-2D7D1FD3A3A2.jpeg
    EC2294DC-FD52-40BF-9ADB-2D7D1FD3A3A2.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 14
  • 84D1591A-0D4D-4559-842D-C0F583442B0E.jpeg
    84D1591A-0D4D-4559-842D-C0F583442B0E.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure the neighbours would be very happy with us having an outdoor movie space but love the idea! Wisteria is beautiful and looks like it does a great job of covering walls.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions, definitely feeling more inspired now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure the neighbours would be very happy with us having an outdoor movie space but love the idea! Wisteria is beautiful and looks like it does a great job of covering walls.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions, definitely feeling more inspired now!
It would indeed be ideal for an outdoor movie! We've got a projector that we very occasionally use to watch movies outside. The sound doesn't travel any more than people chatting. It seems to be a popular thing in America and people have some really cool setups. Some inspiration here:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
id say lucky you. i so wish we could have a giant wall between our delibrately annoying neighbours! How'd they get planning permission for that anyway? i thought 6.5 ft is the max without planning permission.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some have said Wisteria. Surely that loses leaves in winter? no? i have one, certaintly not fast growing. Keen to know myself what type of plant or tree to put up as a barrier/out of sight re neighbours.

Ask a Question