Monstera Deliciosa growing huge stalk without a leaf after cutting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I specifically signed up so I could post my inquiry in hopes that someone with experience might have a little insight as to what is happening here. I received this gorgeous, medium sized Monstera Deliciosa as a birthday present from my husband in December. It's growing new leaves regularly, even in the winter here, and I'm so happy with this gorgeous plant! I live in Eastern Washington, USA.

The growers cut back a large stem before sending it to me, which was apparent by the calloused, professional looking cut on the plant. This didn't bother me. After it's first watering in my care, new growth rapidly began pushing out from the place where it was cut back. But it wasn't a leaf tip that was curled up as we normally see initially. It was just the tip of a stem. It's been about 3 weeks and this thing has grown about 2 feet tall! Is this a normal growth pattern for Monsteras after they have been pruned? Based on what I've read, I was under the impression that new growth happens in the form of leaves with stems. I've not seen any examples of this kind of growth anythere in the internet.

Will this leafless stem remain leafless at the top since it is calloused over and will a new leaf grow out of its sheath as normal later on? What causes this to happen? How can I ensure my plant doesn't continue to grow bare stems in the future should I choose to cut it back? Any and all advise /experience is so appreciated! Thank you!

- The pics at the base is where they cut. Of course it wasn't split before, it was just a calloused stump. You can see where the new stalk emerged and has separated from the primary stalk (technical term?).

The last pic is just to show you how beautiful this thing is! And look at that large new leaf that is almost finished unfurling! :)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I specifically signed up so I could post my inquiry in hopes that someone with experience might have a little insight as to what is happening here. I received this gorgeous, medium sized Monstera Deliciosa as a birthday present from my husband in December. It's growing new leaves regularly, even in the winter here, and I'm so happy with this gorgeous plant! I live in Eastern Washington, USA.

The growers cut back a large stem before sending it to me, which was apparent by the calloused, professional looking cut on the plant. This didn't bother me. After it's first watering in my care, new growth rapidly began pushing out from the place where it was cut back. But it wasn't a leaf tip that was curled up as we normally see initially. It was just the tip of a stem. It's been about 3 weeks and this thing has grown about 2 feet tall! Is this a normal growth pattern for Monsteras after they have been pruned? Based on what I've read, I was under the impression that new growth happens in the form of leaves with stems. I've not seen any examples of this kind of growth anythere in the internet.

Will this leafless stem remain leafless at the top since it is calloused over and will a new leaf grow out of its sheath as normal later on? What causes this to happen? How can I ensure my plant doesn't continue to grow bare stems in the future should I choose to cut it back? Any and all advise /experience is so appreciated! Thank you!

- The pics at the base is where they cut. Of course it wasn't split before, it was just a calloused stump. You can see where the new stalk emerged and has separated from the primary stalk (technical term?).

The last pic is just to show you how beautiful this thing is! And look at that large new leaf that is almost finished unfurling! :)
Haven't got any pics to see

Ask a Question