How big should butternut squash be by 14th September?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little bit tempted after the summer we had this year to try maize and squash, but I am a bit cautious. There is a sort of gardener who is always trying to grow the marginal things. In England that means they have an avacado on the patio they grew from seed, a grape vine that produces nasty little sour spheres they make 'wine' from, yet there are hundreds of plants that grow really reliably in our climate. I might well end up thinking 'I could have grown some extra onions', or leeks, or shallots, or a nice row of swede, beans, cabbage, parsnip something I am pretty sure is going to work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little bit tempted after the summer we had this year to try maize and squash, but I am a bit cautious. There is a sort of gardener who is always trying to grow the marginal things. In England that means they have an avacado on the patio they grew from seed, a grape vine that produces nasty little sour spheres they make 'wine' from, yet there are hundreds of plants that grow really reliably in our climate. I might well end up thinking 'I could have grown some extra onions', or leeks, or shallots, or a nice row of swede, beans, cabbage, parsnip something I am pretty sure is going to work.
I know what you mean. But I really do like winter squash!
I certainly love potatoes, onions, leeks, garlic, tomatoes, beets, cucumbers and summer squash (all of which are effortless).
I've ordered seeds from RealSeeds (so quality seeds grown in the UK) for a variety of squashes ands peppers that are suited to our climate. I've got better quality butternut squash and some smaller acorn squash. I'm hoping to find one that does well here.
I've just checked my butternut squash and there are a few about 6 inches long with a little bit of colour starting. I've cut off everything that's too small to ripen and I plan on fleecing in the evenings now it's getting cold (4 degrees forecast tonight)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken 18 sweetcorn cobs in SW Scotland. (One per plant, variety "Swift" which is dwarf, to beat the winds)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you mean. But I really do like winter squash!
I certainly love potatoes, onions, leeks, garlic, tomatoes, beets, cucumbers and summer squash (all of which are effortless).
I've ordered seeds from RealSeeds (so quality seeds grown in the UK) for a variety of squashes ands peppers that are suited to our climate. I've got better quality butternut squash and some smaller acorn squash. I'm hoping to find one that does well here.
I've just checked my butternut squash and there are a few about 6 inches long with a little bit of colour starting. I've cut off everything that's too small to ripen and I plan on fleecing in the evenings now it's getting cold (4 degrees forecast tonight)
I like Real Seeds, they are a class act, but the fact is, if you're going to be successful at winter squash in Scotland, it has to be hybrids for their extra vigour.
I use OP seeds when I can, but there are times when I can't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken 18 sweetcorn cobs in SW Scotland. (One per plant, variety "Swift" which is dwarf, to beat the winds)
I have Golden Bantam sweetcorn that looks to be doing OK. It's not ready yet, but I could have started it a bit earlier.

I'll let you know how I go with my squash from real seeds. In light of what you've said I might try some hybrid seeds as a backup. Is there any winter squash you'd recommend?

A couple of my butternut squash are about 6 inches long and starting to change colour a little. Is there any point putting fleece over them to give them a chance of ripening? Presumably I should cut away any that stand no chance of ripening?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
F1 Hunter butternut.

I don't think there's much point to leaving them on now; all cucurbita are non-climacteric, which means they don't ripen off the plant, so you want ALL the plant's energies concentrated on your viable fruit.

Ask a Question