Hiya

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I'm a first-time gardener in Manchester, England. My parents had a vegetable garden my whole upbringing, but this is the first time ever I've planted one of my own! Tomatoes, Potatoes, spring onion, basil, rocket, beetroot and coriander are all in the works.

I've also developed an obsession with houseplants! I have quite a few on my hands at the moment and although most of them are doing well and thriving, I have a couple who aren't so happy. I'm hoping some of you experienced lot can help me out when I post some questions and photos.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to getting to know you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Ian ! Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to see someone who's not too far away!
(I'm technically a "Yankunian", by the way, as I'm an American living in Manchester ;))
Looking forward to learning on this forum and am glad to see it's active.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hahahaha, Yankunian - what a great word! Funnily enough, my girlfriend is a fellow American (from DC) who settled in Manchester - after 15 years she's still not used to the Manchester weather!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh lovely! 15 years is a long time! I was going to mention to you earlier that my little garden and plants sure seem to enjoy the rain and humidity – but the lack of sunshine is a killer! Their poor little necks craning for more sun haha. Do you have any experience with grow lights?

Yep, that good old Manchester rain – gotta love it. I quite enjoy it though! I used to live in Phoenix, Arizona where, aside from monsoon season, it gets very little rain. I'm also appreciating the sunshine more since living here, as it's become more of a rarity, as opposed to a daily presence.

I thought Yankunian was quite clever too :) haha.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh gosh, you're probably glad for a bit of rain and shade after 40C+ days then! Just checked out the weather in Phoenix this weekend and it's 47C! :eek:

I've not no experience with grow lights unfortunately, but I bet if you start a thread on it there is someone that will have some suggestions :).

I don't know how long you've been in Manchester, but this has been some of the strangest weather this year - sunbathing in March and floods of rain/cold in June :LOL:. 2020 is weird!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha seriously. Phoenix temperatures are insane. There were many times that I truly believed it was a place NOT meant for mankind haha. Although, it was nice to have such constant and dependable weather!

It's definitely a strange weathered year here!! A strange year in general, as you said! I think it's just another reason why I find so much peace in the plant world. Aside from work and classes, it's nice to have a peaceful hobby and keep the mind busy amongst all the madness of the world. The worldwide virus hype, the rioting and violence, worrying about my family back home, and to top it all off, there have been earthquakes where my parents live! Our worried heads can only handle so much! That nasty wind this weekend killed one of my tomato plants by snapping its neck in two places – I half wished it were my own :ROFLMAO:

shan19

Beginner Gardnening
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi im new here as well, welcome to this wonderful place.
I will wait to see the pictures of your greener flat.

Ask a Question