Hire Someone or Do it Yourself?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I volunteered at a local community college that had hired a nurseryman/landscaper to put in flower beds and be their horticultural expert. He was great at design, but had never maintained a bed in his life! The beds were over-planted; there was no idea of how large or wide a plant would get (they had only been seen in gallon pots); and it was a constant fight to keep plants from taking over pathways and growing up and blocking windows.
If you hire a landscaper, make sure he/she has a garden and maintains it. There is no substitute for actual, hands in the dirt experience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I volunteered at a local community college that had hired a nurseryman/landscaper to put in flower beds and be their horticultural expert. He was great at design, but had never maintained a bed in his life! The beds were over-planted; there was no idea of how large or wide a plant would get (they had only been seen in gallon pots); and it was a constant fight to keep plants from taking over pathways and growing up and blocking windows.
If you hire a landscaper, make sure he/she has a garden and maintains it. There is no substitute for actual, hands in the dirt experience.
You are absolutely right, marlingardner. And we learn from our own experience. I know I love a bit of over-planting and also planting something where I want that colour and shape, not where it suits the plant but I am trying:confused:

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
If I ever hire somebody else then I'll start feeling useless and therefore, it's all going to feel senseless for me since paying somebody else to do what I should do and what I can do is just odd. That's just my opinion though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I don't let anyone touch my plants. They're mine and I know what they want:) So no, I wouldn't hire strangers to take care of them.
Sometimes I ask my boyfriend for help though.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of this group I am sure are DIY'ers because we enjoy gardening. It is nice to have a beautiful garden or yard but it is much better to be able to say I did it myself. The heavy stuff I want help with but the picking of the plants and the placing and caring for the garden that is all mine.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I prefer doing it myself, that's when I don't have a lot of work to do. I sometimes invite my friends to help me i.e when I have a lot to do. The advantages of doing your own work include efficiency where you perfectly do whatever you planned for and you can easily monitor whatever is happening in your garden.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
i do it my self, but when the thing am doing is hard and takes alot of time i think of getting some one to help me but never did

Reaction score
Country
Well gardening is a passion I would always do it myself even if I didn't have time I would look for time anywhere I can. I just don't think it's right to hire someone if you can do it yourself and if you enjoy the activity. Just take a break and come back at a later time and you'll have new ideas.

Reaction score
Country
Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I don't let anyone touch my plants. They're mine and I know what they want:) So no, I wouldn't hire strangers to take care of them.
Sometimes I ask my boyfriend for help though.

Touching a plant is just nonsense, for real, I understand you. They're just around to be stared at and that's it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The benefits of living with family, they help whether or not you want it! :ROFLMAO:

We live with my inlaws right now, and sometimes they can, lets say, "over-love" the garden into a swampy, hodge-podged mess. Didn't we try to tell them we are in a drought??? ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Esther, I'm glad you found some trustworthy workers. I don't let anyone into my gardens, not even to pick vegetables. However, there is a lovely family who do tree work, and we've had them out several times to trim or remove damaged trees. They are efficient, tidy, and totally delightful. Thank heavens for them!

Ask a Question