Visit to Hampshire

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We went to visit my parents in Hampshire (UK) last week, and I had great fun playing around with my new camera! Here are some of the photos, hope you like them :)

Walk through the New Forest (deceptive name, it is neither new nor a forest):
1.jpg

2.jpg

We went for lunch after our walk, and on the way there we walked past this beautiful little thatched cottage! My parents absolutely loved it, so I took a photo of them pretending that they live there!!
3.jpg

Finally some photos of my parents' garden:
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

They dug the raised beds and pond last year, so this year is the first crop of vegetable they have had. They have three marrow plants which have done so well they don't know what to do with it all! The tomatoes have also produced a lot of fruit, but unfortunately a lot of them have blossom end rot. The runner beans have done really well too, but I think they might change around how they plant them next year - it is currently trained into a cone shape which means some beans in the middle of the cone are difficult to get to.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely pictures Becky :)

Beetroots' looking good.

I know the New Forest quite well, used to camp there while I was on a job in Southampton, lovely area.

This is how I normally grow beans,

The X frame meanz the beanz hang down and are easier to get to/spot.

Later on I tie strings across the top, stops the frame bending. Much more wind resistant than other ways too.

Reaction score
Becky, the little dog bush is adorable! I love the pond as well.

Zigs - The x-frame looks good - I'm going to try pole beans next year (runners don't do well in our climate) instead of bush; I might just steal your idea :D

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures and your parents are a handsome couple. Those beets look delicious!

Zigs I certainly like the way you have your beans growing. I must show my hubby. We tried a string method with putting poles up every 2 to 3 feet and putting several rows of stings from top to botton on the poles. This worked ok but yours looks way neater and less crowded.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Those are some really beautiful pictures :) Thanks a lot for sharing, I specially liked the sunflower shot! I'm a huge fan of those flowers. I liked the cottage picture as well, your parents look so youthful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is a very excellent suggestion Zigs, I'll let them know! :)

Those are some really beautiful pictures :) Thanks a lot for sharing, I specially liked the sunflower shot! I'm a huge fan of those flowers. I liked the cottage picture as well, your parents look so youthful!

I'll let them know you said that, they will be thrilled! My mum is 57 and my step-dad is 71.

Reaction score
That is a very excellent suggestion Zigs, I'll let them know! :)

I'll let them know you said that, they will be thrilled! My mum is 57 and my step-dad is 71.

Yes, please do :) Your mother looks specially young! So hard to believe she is 57! Your step-dad looks great too, it must be the food over there and the great genetics! I read somewhere that the people who looks younger than they actually are tend to live longer :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The pictures are beautiful, I especially love the first two, because they remind me of Wuthering Heights. I would love to see it with my own eyes! And I love the thatched cottage, it's very pretty. I've never seen a house like this in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The pictures are beautiful, I especially love the first two, because they remind me of Wuthering Heights. I would love to see it with my own eyes! And I love the thatched cottage, it's very pretty. I've never seen a house like this in my area.

It's really pretty isn't it? The thatchwork is beautiful - you can just about make out a pheasant made from thatch on the roof below the chimney :)

Ask a Question