High wind damage

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tomato plant is getting roughed up due to high winds.

The wind already snapped a major limb.

I have 4 green tomatoes so far.

I used string to give additional support and limit how far the limbs can swing in the wind.

Any recommendations on how to limit the damage?

Thanks.
20220119_140409.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
How constant are these high winds?
If they are only occasional, check the forecast and set the plant in a more sheltered spot until the air is again becalmed.

One might hope that the walls and pillars that surround your site would dampen the wind's force, but perhaps they only funnel it into greater concentration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tomato plant is getting roughed up due to high winds.

The wind already snapped a major limb.

I have 4 green tomatoes so far.

I used string to give additional support and limit how far the limbs can swing in the wind.

Any recommendations on how to limit the damage?

Thanks.
View attachment 87123

If it's in a pot, I would take it inside until the wind calms down. If this is a common thing in your area, I would get a grow light for where you choose to put it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is in a 8 gallon pot which is very heavy. I have a grow light that I use for about 8 hrs a day.

Could that plant survive indoors using only a grow light?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, a tomato can be grown under artificial light, if the grow light is strong enough and close enough.
Also, sometimes grow lights are used to supplement areas with low levels of natural light.

Is the wind so strong and constant that you feel indoor growing might be your best option?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is in a 8 gallon pot which is very heavy. I have a grow light that I use for about 8 hrs a day.

Could that plant survive indoors using only a grow light?
A grow light and a window? Also, you could probably go ahead and do a team lift, have any friends for neighbors who could help? I would invite them over to help/have lunch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, a tomato can be grown under artificial light, if the grow light is strong enough and close enough.
Also, sometimes grow lights are used to supplement areas with low levels of natural light.

Is the wind so strong and constant that you feel indoor growing might be your best option?
The wind is pretty constant. I live close to a lake that drains into the ocean.

Ask a Question