Losing plants to high winds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Have you ever lost a tree or plant due to high winds? We once had a lime tree in our yard which supplied us with enough limes for our own use, as well as enough to share with family or friends. However, about 5 year ago, during a storm, our lime tree was blown down and partly uprooted. This was the only plant that suffered such damage from the storm, but it was a great loss. Subsequently, we had to buy our limes from the grocery store, or get some from friends who offered to give us limes when they could afford to do so.

A couple years after the tree was blown down, it started to bear a few limes again on one of the branches, so we still get a few limes off of the tree occasionally. The other branches do not bear at all. In order for us to get another tree, we would have to start from scratch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This strong winds is actually our present concern. The Indian mango is currently fruiting - it is the small variety of mango that is as big as an ordinary apple. The small fruits fall to the ground due to the strong winds that hit the tree every now and then. During January and February, it is the season of west monsoon winds and we cannot do anything about it. From our estimates, only about 30% of the fruits survive the winds. Tsk, tsk, what a big loss.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Last summer we were much wetter than usual, and when the high winds came (as they do in Texas) all our corn laid down. When the soil dried out enough for wading in and trying to get the stalks upright, we managed to save about 1/3 of our sweet corn crop. This was not tragic for us, but for the farmers with field corn, it was a major economic hit.
We have lost large limbs from trees and part of the workshop roof due to wind.
We have lost parts of trees, a good amount of a vegetable crop, and a lot of sleep due to high winds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
High winds and damage happen to all of us. However, is it possible for you to take some pictures of the base of your lime tree, the producing limb and the others also? It is possible that it is not as bad as it seems.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never lost a plant or tree to high winds, but I've lost a few to the weight of rain water.

our lime tree was blown down and partly uprooted. Subsequently, we had to buy our limes from the grocery store

That would be disappointing! Fruit never tastes the same coming from a grocery store.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I understand the plight of those who live in zones with high winds. I live in the tropics where daily weather patterns and environmental conditions do not fluctuate drastically. However, necessity is the mother of invention. Individual trees can be buttressed by tying them to each other using strong cords. This way, high winds will not uproot them easily due to reinforcement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I understand the plight of those who live in zones with high winds. I live in the tropics where daily weather patterns and environmental conditions do not fluctuate drastically. However, necessity is the mother of invention. Individual trees can be buttressed by tying them to each other using strong cords. This way, high winds will not uproot them easily due to reinforcement.

We usually do that when there is a predicted typhoon or storm. To complement the rope, we trim the trees of excess leaves and big branches (only those branches that can be sacrificed). But the strong winds when there is no typhoon ruins the flowers and the young fruits. Right now the cashew flowers are being damaged by the winds and we cannot do anything about it. Just hoping that some flowers will be left to become fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
The small fruits fall to the ground due to the strong winds that hit the tree every now and then. During January and February, it is the season of west monsoon winds and we cannot do anything about it. From our estimates, only about 30% of the fruits survive the winds. Tsk, tsk, what a big loss.

I think in a case like this, you would have to try and see how much of the fruit that falls can be salvaged. I know it may be hard work trying to pick up fruit from the ground and looking to see which ones are okay to keep. However, I suppose a lot of the fruit which falls may also be quite young and green, and may never ripen after being blown off of the tree so early, so that would be a definite loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think in a case like this, you would have to try and see how much of the fruit that falls can be salvaged. I know it may be hard work trying to pick up fruit from the ground and looking to see which ones are okay to keep. However, I suppose a lot of the fruit which falls may also be quite young and green, and may never ripen after being blown off of the tree so early, so that would be a definite loss.

You are right, the small green fruits will not ripen anymore so when they fall on the ground due to the strong wind, they are already doomed. Small fruits cannot be eaten as it is. Small mangoes are so sour although some people make a pickle out of it. Worse, the fallen fruits rot on the ground and attract the flies so we had to clean the ground once in a while.

Ask a Question