Help with Carrots...didn't form at all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you using the correct fertilizer? A little 5-20-20 fertilizer once a week is good with lots of water in very soft potting soil. You can grow 100 carrots in a 5 gallon bucket. Never thin carrots, pull up the largest carrots first and eat them, the smaller carrots will fill in the places where larger carrots use to be. Drill several holes 3" from the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket then will bucket with potting soil 2" from the top. The bottom 3" of the bucket holds water so soil will never dry out. The tricky part for me is getting all the seeds to germinate sometimes only 20% germination. Buy fertilizer at Farmers Co-op in 50 lb bags $25 per bag.

If you have a 5 gallon bucket that leaks put a dozen kitchen food cans in the bottom they will hold water. You can put anything in the bucket that will hold water, bottom of a milk jug, bottom of a bleach bottle, empty jelly jars, etc.

100_6112.JPG
100_6203.JPG

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've heard that root vegetable in general doesn't like high nitrogen levels. Seems they put the nitrogen into growing greens rather than roots.

M6 own experience seems to bear that out.

Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've heard that root vegetable in general doesn't like high nitrogen levels. Seems they put the nitrogen into growing greens rather than roots.

M6 own experience seems to bear that out.

I've heard that also...but I have to wonder if it all depends on the source of the Nitrogen.

Nitrogen is nitrogen, right... but I wonder.

I have all natural, high nitrogen levels in my soil, and I successfully grow large onion bulbs, long carrots, beets, potatoes, garlic, turnips, radishes, etc. without excessive tops.

I never use synthetic fertilizers on them. Makes me wonder.

Ask a Question