Help to ID this

Reaction score
The leaves don't really indicate a morning glory. Bindweeds have flowers that look exactly like the morning glory. They can be difficult to get rid of too. They various bindweeds do have different types of leaves so you might head in that direction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No not here - Figs are prolific in every sense of the word where I live - in fact so prolific that if left undisturbed I would - within the space of year - be living in a dense forest of 8 - 10 feet tall fig trees and as I currently have six and a half very large ones - the half being one that is so stubborn that even after nearly 4 years of trying to get rid of it - still comes back to haunt me - I really don't want any more.
I guess you have already tried solarizing the entire area for a year. I have a friend who bought some acreage that was entirely covered with mesquite brush. It is also extremely hard to kill. He rented one of those machines that cut trees off at below ground level and then he covered the entire area of about 2 acres with clear plastic, weighted it down with rocks and left it for an entire year. Its worked so far and its been over 2 years now

Reaction score
I guess you have already tried solarizing the entire area for a year. I have a friend who bought some acreage that was entirely covered with mesquite brush. It is also extremely hard to kill. He rented one of those machines that cut trees off at below ground level and then he covered the entire area of about 2 acres with clear plastic, weighted it down with rocks and left it for an entire year. Its worked so far and its been over 2 years now

Although I'm aware of well it works - its not something that is possible where I live - as apart from the fact that you generally need to have a license to do it - as I live in an extremely mountainous rocky area - where everything grows on a steep incline and I would have a considerably larger area that would need to be covered in plastic which would make it impractical - its not something that is allowed to be done here - due to the fact that almost anything on the mountainside can be easily washed into the nearby lakes and water courses by the water torrents that come down the mountain at high speed during the torrential winter rains - as well as the fact that tractor access is needed at least 4 or 5 times a year - so all in all - its easier all round to take the easy route and just treat the shoots once or twice a year or when needed :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although I'm aware of well it works - its not something that is possible where I live - as apart from the fact that you generally need to have a license to do it - as I live in an extremely mountainous rocky area - where everything grows on a steep incline and I would have a considerably larger area that would need to be covered in plastic which would make it impractical - its not something that is allowed to be done here - due to the fact that almost anything on the mountainside can be easily washed into the nearby lakes and water courses by the water torrents that come down the mountain at high speed during the torrential winter rains - as well as the fact that tractor access is needed at least 4 or 5 times a year - so all in all - its easier all round to take the easy route and just treat the shoots once or twice a year or when needed :D
Do all of your fig trees have these sprouts are just the one?

Reaction score
Do all of your fig trees have these sprouts are just the one?

They all do and its not just me either as everyone has the same problem - which is why all houses round here always have at least 4 or 5 fig trees growing on their land - regardless of what they have chosen to grow as their money making crop - almond trees and prickly pears do the same too - but fortunately they are more easily dealt with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They all do and its not just me either as everyone has the same problem - which is why all houses round here always have at least 4 or 5 fig trees growing on their land - regardless of what they have chosen to grow as their money making crop - almond trees and prickly pears do the same too - but fortunately they are more easily dealt with.
It must be a varietal issue with the figs. There are only 3 or 4 varieties which do well here and none of them do this. We don't have almonds but lord do we have prickly pears. On them we chop them off at the base, pile up the pads and pour molasses on them . They will rot very quickly and make a fair compost

Reaction score
It must be a varietal issue with the figs. There are only 3 or 4 varieties which do well here and none of them do this. We don't have almonds but lord do we have prickly pears. On them we chop them off at the base, pile up the pads and pour molasses on them . They will rot very quickly and make a fair compost

I'm thinking so too - as it seems to be the same with all the varieties we grow here - I'm pleased to hear that I'm not only only one that has a prickly pear problem to deal with - especially as its one of those problems that needs to be avoided at all costs - as just one leaf dropping to the ground can very quickly turn into a prickly pear infestation and although they are a very popular fruit here - as I'm not really too keen on having to pick my fruit with fire tongs whilst wearing elbow length leather gloves and then having to do the same in order to try and eat the fruit - I generally get rid of mine in much the same way as you do - although I have to say - that they smell absolutely disgusting when going through the rotting process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm thinking so too - as it seems to be the same with all the varieties we grow here - I'm pleased to hear that I'm not only only one that has a prickly pear problem to deal with - especially as its one of those problems that needs to be avoided at all costs - as just one leaf dropping to the ground can very quickly turn into a prickly pear infestation and although they are a very popular fruit here - as I'm not really too keen on having to pick my fruit with fire tongs whilst wearing elbow length leather gloves and then having to do the same in order to try and eat the fruit - I generally get rid of mine in much the same way as you do - although I have to say - that they smell absolutely disgusting when going through the rotting process.
We usually do the prickly thing well away from anyhing. We actually load them up on a trailor and pile them up a month or so before we go hog hunting. Hogs love the smell and will come for miles to snack. And then it is BBQ time

Ask a Question