HELP! Odd Brown Spot on Snake Plant...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I am a novice when it comes to caring for house plants and noticed a strange brown spot on my snake plant. I brought this plant home from the nursery 6 days ago and can't recall if the spot was already there/beginning to form. I haven't watered since bringing it home being that it seemed the plant was just watered that day and the soil is still currently moist to the touch. Following the recommendation of a friend who owns a snake plant as well, I have lightly misted the plant a couple times with lukewarm water given the usage of our heater during the winter that may cause the atmosphere to be a little dry.

The plant remains in its nursery pot with drainage holes and is propped up in it's decorative pot so that it doesn't sit in water should any leakage occur.

The spot is randomly in the middle of this leaf and the other leaves seem to not be affected. The texture is kind of "squishy" as if it's holding liquid just under the first layer of tissue; it somewhat resembles a human blister (especially the small circle towards the top of the brown spot). Any idea as to what this could be and how to fix it? Thank you in advance for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,384
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 172

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF
It looks like a rotting leaf I think that it's the misting that's done it, those type of plants don't like to be wet on the leaves. They're like a cactus and like it dry. The soil is probably wet from the misting. You can cut that affected leaf right down by the soil and hope that the rest will be alright, put it somewhere warmish so the soil can dry out and don't let it stand in water, i hope that helps. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the response! I ended up cutting the affected leaf close to the bottom and will keep my eye on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I am a novice when it comes to caring for house plants and noticed a strange brown spot on my snake plant. I brought this plant home from the nursery 6 days ago and can't recall if the spot was already there/beginning to form. I haven't watered since bringing it home being that it seemed the plant was just watered that day and the soil is still currently moist to the touch. Following the recommendation of a friend who owns a snake plant as well, I have lightly misted the plant a couple times with lukewarm water given the usage of our heater during the winter that may cause the atmosphere to be a little dry.

The plant remains in its nursery pot with drainage holes and is propped up in it's decorative pot so that it doesn't sit in water should any leakage occur.

The spot is randomly in the middle of this leaf and the other leaves seem to not be affected. The texture is kind of "squishy" as if it's holding liquid just under the first layer of tissue; it somewhat resembles a human blister (especially the small circle towards the top of the brown spot). Any idea as to what this could be and how to fix it? Thank you in advance for the help!

Snake Plant (Dracaena Trifasciata) Care Guide

The Snake Plant (Dracaena trifasciata), also known as the Mother-in-law’s Tongue, is a popular perennial succulent native to the tropics of Africa. Before 2017, it had the botanical name Sansevieria trifasciata, but later studies resulted in it being reassigned to the Dracaena genus.

The plant has tall, sword-shaped dark green leaves with white stripes that appear as different types of marbling depending on the variety. Many different Snake Plant varieties are cultivated for the unique marbling on their leaves. The plant gets its name from its growth pattern, which resembles an arboreal snake’s body coiling around itself.

Ask a Question