Help...insect in majesty palm soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
Worm like insects in both my majesty palm pots.
Possibly millipede from google searching. But just want to make sure they are not dangerous for a kitten (or humans). Also how would I kill them?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Malika!! :)

They look like millipedes. Millipedes have two sets of legs per segment, and centipedes have only one. They are not dangerous for humans or kittens. Millipedes like moist conditions. (That soil looks awfully wet.) I would try scattering some diatomaceous earth on top of the soil. :unsure: Quicker still, you could always repot the plant with new soil. (y)

Was the plant outside for the summer? :cautious: If not, you probably have millipedes in the house, for them to have gotten in the plant. :unsure:

Remove moisture indoors. If millipedes are attracted to your house, you might have a problem with excess moisture. Use a dehumidifier to help draw this excess moisture out of the air and discourage the millipedes from staying as a result. https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Millipedes

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. ~ Please post picture of kitten!! :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG

Hi!

Thank you so much.
I thought they might be milipedes from my internet searches but just wanted to make sure they weren't anything that latched on!!

I couldn't resist putting two of the little fur-baby haha. My next novice indoor plant is cat grass for him :).

I suspected I was over watering. I'll let the soil dry a little more between watering. Also we didn't replant from when we bought them so I am hoping they were in the soil and have not made it through the house! (Fingers crossed). Haven't seen one on the floor. Just in the pot.

Thank you once again for your help!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He's adorable! Look at that face! :love: Aww...

My next novice indoor plant is

Is the majesty palm the first novice indoor plant? :) If it is, I'll offer a little extra advice. The most common mistake new gardeners make is over watering. ;)

Also, most houseplants look their best right around the time they are getting root-bound. Since the shops sell them when they look their best, it's highly likely it needed repotted. You'll want to "stair-step" your pot sizes. Put in a pot one size larger. You can't save time later by putting it in a bigger pot now. It slows the growth of the foliage if the pot is too big. The plant wants to fill that dirt with roots - then it will work on growing foliage. And the cycle continues. :D

Ask a Question