Help! Front garden ideas

ajs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hoping to get some ideas for these front gardens as I'm kinda lost

Moved into our house last year and alot of the plants that were here were dead so we cleared everything and now im totally stuck on where to start with plants.
Both garden beds get mostly sun and are north facing, not concerned about privacy plants as front windows will be getting tinted.
Trying to tie both gardens in with one another somehow aswell.

The mailbox front garden already has 2 little gem or teddy bear magnolias so after ideas of what could go between them.
The other garden is completely empty (get late afternoon shade)- I have thought of planting another magnolia in a raised area or a very large pot and plant around it maybe ?
(Photo attached of garden both in front yard)

Thank you for any help !!

Qld - 4350

Attachments

• 20230322_122516.jpg
    20230322_122516.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'day @ajs, I have family in Queensland - just south east of Brisbane, and in the Lockyer valley near Postman's ridge, Toowoomba.
I know it's pretty hot to our standards in the UK and watering is probably one of the biggest jobs, so keeping to native plants that are tough is usually the best way to go. Succulents are pretty foolproof and take care of themselves, while Agapanthus seems to flourish. Alliums are similarly suitable.
You have planned where the bed is situated really well in my opinion. Just away from the path and in a good ''screen'' position in front of the front door. I wonder if a big tall grass would look good near the centre of that bed too.
Whereabouts are you?

ajs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day @ajs, I have family in Queensland - just south east of Brisbane, and in the Lockyer valley near Postman's ridge, Toowoomba.
I know it's pretty hot to our standards in the UK and watering is probably one of the biggest jobs, so keeping to native plants that are tough is usually the best way to go. Succulents are pretty foolproof and take care of themselves, while Agapanthus seems to flourish. Alliums are similarly suitable.
You have planned where the bed is situated really well in my opinion. Just away from the path and in a good ''screen'' position in front of the front door. I wonder if a big tall grass would look good near the centre of that bed too.
Whereabouts are you?
Hi, Thanks for the comment.

I'm actually located just out of Toowoomba (Wyreema)

It does get pretty hot and both gardens beds get alot of sun all day so I'd need plants that could handle heat. Thankfully both dwarf magnolias do pretty well - (taller one was there before we bought the house, so trying to work with it as it is healthy)
I actully thought natives might be a good option to mix in, especially in the garden by the door.

Like i mentioned in my post I'm trying to partly tie both gardens together rather than have 2 completely different ones- (might look odd) Which is why I thought planting another dwarf magnolia in the garden near the door.

I just get lost haha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Near Cambooya right? Out the other side of Toowoomba!

I'm an ''anything goes'' gardener. I like to see as much variety in a garden as I can get. It's always a good idea to aim for plants that are at their best at different times of the year, so there's always something showing colour. Too neat and tidy looks more like an army camp to me. I will plant pink flowers next to orange and red and let them grow in a lovely jumble. I choose plain single flowers rather than big frilly ones, because the bees and butterflies like them better.
Too much of the same can look very tidy, but rather boring in my mind. It's good to mix in a few herbs too that are great, not only for wildlife, but also for the kitchen. Lavender here is buzzing with bees in the summer, and enjoys hot dry positions. Sticking a few vegetables in with the mix suits me as well.
Always have a good snoop around the neighbours gardens to see what does well there, and never be afraid to ask them questions about their plants. Most proper gardeners are only too happy to have a chat, and will often offer you cuttings and advice. It's a great way to make friends.
Were you affected there by the awful floods that happened in 2010 ? There was much life lost then, I couldn't get in touch with my family for ages when the volume of water came down from the mountains into the creeks in the valley. Terrifying.

ajs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Near Cambooya right? Out the other side of Toowoomba!

I'm an ''anything goes'' gardener. I like to see as much variety in a garden as I can get. It's always a good idea to aim for plants that are at their best at different times of the year, so there's always something showing colour. Too neat and tidy looks more like an army camp to me. I will plant pink flowers next to orange and red and let them grow in a lovely jumble. I choose plain single flowers rather than big frilly ones, because the bees and butterflies like them better.
Too much of the same can look very tidy, but rather boring in my mind. It's good to mix in a few herbs too that are great, not only for wildlife, but also for the kitchen. Lavender here is buzzing with bees in the summer, and enjoys hot dry positions. Sticking a few vegetables in with the mix suits me as well.
Always have a good snoop around the neighbours gardens to see what does well there, and never be afraid to ask them questions about their plants. Most proper gardeners are only too happy to have a chat, and will often offer you cuttings and advice. It's a great way to make friends.
Were you affected there by the awful floods that happened in 2010 ? There was much life lost then, I couldn't get in touch with my family for ages when the volume of water came down from the mountains into the creeks in the valley. Terrifying.
Yeah near Cambooya.
We're In a new area with alot of new builds so not many gardens

I guess I was trying to have a plant of some type in both gardens to be the same to sort of match in, sounds confusing ha.
The garden by the door is much larger so I have more space for a variety of plants compared to the mailbox garden which is long and narrow.

Ooh I like the idea of adding some herbs amongst plants!

I was living in Toowoomba back when the 2010 floods happened, thankfully wasn't affected where I was but it was absolutely terrible hearing the news of life lost around the region, so disheartening.

Thank you for some advice :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are most welcome, and good luck with your gardening. Rosemary, Lavender and Thyme for a start - smells divine!
Evidently the people in the valley heard the awful roar of the water converging in the high areas an hour before the massive wave hit them, but didn't know what it was. Postman's Ridge was washed away. Afterwards the army couldn't determine whether the bodies under the resulting mud were human or animals. My family escaped.

Ask a Question