Hello

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
OMG!!!!
No, no and just ... no!!!! Nothing affiliated with my forum name - AT ALL! (Should I have to figure out how to change my forum name?).
Crikey! How to get off to a good start on a gardening forum: 101!!!!?
I'm just a back garden beginner trying to find my North from my South and my East from its West without any frost bite :-(

Seems like you've judged me either way :-(
LOL! I think you are off to a perfectly fine start!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome!
We love photos and videos.
Photos are easy to upload, you don't need a hosting site. One "click" and they are on.
Videos are simple enough with YouTube.
Well honestly I thought it might be some sporting type of herb so I googled it and found reams of financial links!
Being most upfront - I have reported both of the above comments.
I joined today for no other motive than to join a community who share an enjoyment of gardening.
I didn't know that photos/videos were essential, nor did I understand that a choice of user name meant some kind of research (in advance) to ensure no affiliated links may ensue!
I posted a polite "Hello!; end of! Nothing more, nothing less; just a polite "hello"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Being most upfront - I have reported both of the above comments.
I joined today for no other motive than to join a community who share an enjoyment of gardening.
I didn't know that photos/videos were essential, nor did I understand that a choice of user name meant some kind of research (in advance) to ensure no affiliated links may ensue!
I posted a polite "Hello!; end of! Nothing more, nothing less; just a polite "hello"!

You're reading too much into the situation.

Don't be so touchy.

My board name is that of a character from a classic film. Perhaps I should add that I have no connection with Warner Brothers,.

My suggestion to you to post some photos of your garden, demonstrated an interest in a new contributor, no doubt shared by others. If no one posted any photos, this forum as would many others, be a bit dull and therefore likely less supported.

If you don't want to post photos, no one will insist you do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
@Arden Sage Please don't take our comments the wrong way....we are just trying to make small talk....forgive us...

You don't have to put up any pics, and you can snoop around and see ours...You may get some ideas. It's fun to see what others have to share...We all love to see pics...Sometimes I go on Google and search "hidden gardens in the UK" being I am from USA, it's wonderful to see what others are doing across the big pond. I even copy some that I take a fancy to...

Come back if you would like. We all would love to have your thoughts on stuff..

waretrop..now that is a silly name, don't you think....??? I really am Barb...LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Arden Sage! I'm sorry to hear there seems to have been a misunderstanding here, but I see no fault with @DirtMechanic's comment - it seems reasonable for someone to assume that your user name is a type of herb, and googling that name does bring up investment funds. The comment was therefore not an insult, merely an observation. I hope you are able to see that there was no offence intended. However if I have missed anything please do let me know.

You are more than welcome to join in the discussions on the forum without needing to share photos or videos, we're just a curious bunch and we love seeing photos of other people's gardens! You are free to share as much or as little as you like. If you have any other questions about the forum please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Becky I was just looking for the area where @Arden Sage may change her name....some boards allow members to do that.. some admins can do it for the members...just wondering if @Arden Sage really would like to do that....

Yes it can be done, but has to be done by either me or @Ian. As a new member it shouldn't be a problem - @Arden Sage if you want your username changed please let me know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wondering if SMELLYCAT is off to a bad start? I love gardening and going to hang around and see what you folks like to plant and grow and eat,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if SMELLYCAT is off to a bad start?

I think smellycat is a great name! I take it you're a fan of Friends too? :) BTW welcome to the forum!

Well I certainly did not intend this mess and apologize for having stepped in it.

No apology necessary, it was just a misunderstanding :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for the generous welcomes!
May I hold back on the photo's ( if that is ok?) because I don't have an established garden to boast of!? It is very much a work in progress right now and videos would scare me away!!!!!!
Photos at this time when you're first starting can be very fun and motivating to look back on. It shows progress. The contrast photos I have of my yard before and after mulching/gardening are incredible, despite my yard looking horrible in the beginning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think some people have a misunderstanding of how a good forum works. These people come in to glean information but not to contribute anything. When a forum has mostly takers and very few contributors, it is doomed to failure. The second leg of a successful forum is the comradery of the members. On a good forum you can develop friendships that last for years. These friendships develop by sharing information and interests. I learned long ago that the best way to get people to accept you is to show an interest in them. Ask them questions that allow them to talk about themselves. The posts in question in this thread were merely showing an interest in the new person. My opinion is that if the OP is going to parse responses so negatively, he/she may have done us a favor with post #19.

Ask a Question