Hello from New Jersey!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, My name is Nick, I'm new to gardening and have lots of questions. I just moved into a townhouse and in the front of my patio was a pre mulched area with 2 plants in it. I always wanted a little garden so I removed the plants and decided to turn it into a vegetable/herb garden. I'm a newbie but i removed the wood chips from the top layer, bought some gardening soil and mixed it together with the soil was there, I then planted some seeds. I was just wondering if anybody knew if it was safe to grow food that will be eaten in this type of soil. The soil that was there is the typical black wood chip type soil that you see in apartment communities and other business that normally have bushes growing out of them. is this just basic mulch? or is it some commercial chemical infused concution that should only be used for things like bushes and flowers?? if anyone has any insight into this thatd be great, im excited to get to growing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Nick. :)

I think you're doing great so far. I personally don't like dyed mulch, but I don't think it poses any danger so eat up!

Going forward, adding aged compost and non-dyed mulch will improve your soil greatly as it breaks down and enriches the soil.

Ask a Question