Hello Everyone i am Debasish from India

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone,

I am debasish banerjee from India . My friends call me Dj (easy to say) . I am very much into gardening. I do all my gardening in pita on my roof top.

I am currently growing the following:

Flowers :
Hibiscus (various colors)
Hibiscus mutabilis
Rose
Allamanda creeper
Allamanda dwarf (non creeper)
Jasmine
Holy Basil (red and green both)
Marigold
Lilly
Dwarf Dahlia (Pom Pom)
Dahlia
Rajnigandha sticks
Passion Flower
Ixora
Nycanthis (Shiuli flower)
Crepe Jasmine
Mandevilliea
Hollyhock
Bramhakamal (Night Lotus)

Fruits:
Lime
Citrus limetta (Mosambi)
Papaya

Herbs:
Celery
Purple basil
Sweet basil
Parsley

Vegetables:
Chilly
Tomatoes
Potato
Onion
Beet
Cucumber
Pumpkin
Capsicum
Brinjal

I have started my gardening roughly 2 yrs back and hoping to learn further ahead from you all with every progress.

Reaction score
Country
India
:)Hello @Debasish Banerjee and a warm welcome to you. That is quite an impressive list and i grow many of the same plants where i live half way around the world. You must be in a nice warm climate.
Hi. Nice to know that you grow similar stuff. Yes the weather is usually hot and humid. We hardly get winter at a max of 13-16degrees celcius . Thts why Hibiscus plants shower me with flowers even in winters. :)

Hope to interact through this forum and if i may be of any help please let me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi. Nice to know that you grow similar stuff. Yes the weather is usually hot and humid. We hardly get winter at a max of 13-16degrees celcius . Thts why Hibiscus plants shower me with flowers even in winters. :)

Hope to interact through this forum and if i may be of any help please let me know.
I have a hibiscus plant, but I never see any of my local pollinators on the flowers, despite them being the biggest flowers in the garden...well other than my moonflower, but that's a nightbloomer.... I'm curious what (if any) pollinators are attracted to your hibiscus?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Debasish. :) You have a lovely selection of flowers and vegetables with good temperatures to keep them growing all year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hope to interact through this forum and if i may be of any help please let me know
Thank you DJ, my garden is mostly for pollinators and i also grow year around. The rainy season is hot and humid from April through October and the dry season is hot and dry (November through March). Daytime temps are around 30 C year around with some modest variations + and -. December through February the night time temps drop to as low as 16 C and during the rest of the year night time temps hover around the 20 - 22. So i am sure we have information and ideas to share. I wonder, with your roof top garden if you have fewer problems with insects, rodents, etc that cause damage to your plants? I have had problems with beetles that burrow in the ground and eat roots, also with some unfriendly nematodes, and also root rot after the rainy season. I have recently started using Neem drench with the hopes that the soil will be healthier and also molasses drench, and composted materials.

Reaction score
Country
India
I have a hibiscus plant, but I never see any of my local pollinators on the flowers, despite them being the biggest flowers in the garden...well other than my moonflower, but that's a nightbloomer.... I'm curious what (if any) pollinators are attracted to your hibiscus?

Hi ,I started the hibiscus in the beginning but just like you i found no pollinators around. Then i planted green chilly plant & i had the bees coming regularly and it was when my citrus limetta(mosambi) bloomed the place is filled with bees morning to evening.

I would suggest you planting a Green Chilly plant ( a couple of them) and wait for the blooms to happen and then i hope you will also be rewarded by the bees.

Reaction score
Country
India
Thank you DJ, my garden is mostly for pollinators and i also grow year around. The rainy season is hot and humid from April through October and the dry season is hot and dry (November through March). Daytime temps are around 30 C year around with some modest variations + and -. December through February the night time temps drop to as low as 16 C and during the rest of the year night time temps hover around the 20 - 22. So i am sure we have information and ideas to share. I wonder, with your roof top garden if you have fewer problems with insects, rodents, etc that cause damage to your plants? I have had problems with beetles that burrow in the ground and eat roots, also with some unfriendly nematodes, and also root rot after the rainy season. I have recently started using Neem drench with the hopes that the soil will be healthier and also molasses drench, and composted materials.

Hi, yes rooftop garden is also frequently affected by pests and insects. I mainly have aphids, spider mites and ants issue but i keep them under control and mostly ( so far lucky) keep the place insect free. The most common is Aphids and they mainly attack my hibiscus's buds. But there are many ways to deal with it. I spray the insecticide (sometimes) on a mild dose on all of them and nothing bothers me much. During the change of seasons ( Winter to summer to Rain to Fall) i have noticed that the Aphids comes back but due to my routine maintainence their stays are shorten and mostly out of the way so far.

One more thing i use more regularly is Banana Peel. I just throw the Banana peel on the soil and as it rots and breaks down i shove it in slowly slowly. It has prevented any aphids on my roses (so far). I hope t his works for you.

Yes for soil nematodes and beetles (root eating ones) Neem powder meals are good, you may also mix diatomaceous earth with the neem powder and apply it on the soil. The diatomaceous earth works great and the bad guys will run away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh, good, good. I hand squish the aphids and also use a mild soapy/water mix. The ants have been the most destructive. We have leaf-cutter ants here that can strip a tree overnight. I would show you what they did to my Ixora but it is just too sad. I went after them with DE (diatomaceous earth). They had made themselves at home within the walls of my garden. This was last year. This year i have only seen one leaf-cutter ant in the garden. I think they know now that the garden is hostile territory and do not enter. In all the holes i dig for planting i sprinkle DE and add a mild Neem oil/water as well as a Molasses/water mix to the bottom of the hole. I have to be careful how i use the Neem and DE, because i have some plants that host butterflies, so i raise caterpillars that grow up to be butterflies so i only use Neem below ground level. When there are caterpillars in the garden, i don't use DE at all until they have pupated and are safe in their chrysalises. To my compost container i add chopped up banana peel. It is so full of nutrients. I have never tried to just lay them on top of the soil. I have been told that cockroaches love bananas, so i fear the peel would attract cockroaches?

About Hibiscus @roadrunner, Large Sulphur Butterflies are attracted to the single red tropical Hibiscus (you will have these butterflies in Florida, they are big and yellow, a few different species). So they do some pollinating and also some small ants do some pollinating on the tropical hibiscus in my area.

Reaction score
Country
India
Oh, good, good. I hand squish the aphids and also use a mild soapy/water mix. The ants have been the most destructive. We have leaf-cutter ants here that can strip a tree overnight. I would show you what they did to my Ixora but it is just too sad. I went after them with DE (diatomaceous earth). They had made themselves at home within the walls of my garden. This was last year. This year i have only seen one leaf-cutter ant in the garden. I think they know now that the garden is hostile territory and do not enter. In all the holes i dig for planting i sprinkle DE and add a mild Neem oil/water as well as a Molasses/water mix to the bottom of the hole. I have to be careful how i use the Neem and DE, because i have some plants that host butterflies, so i raise caterpillars that grow up to be butterflies so i only use Neem below ground level. When there are caterpillars in the garden, i don't use DE at all until they have pupated and are safe in their chrysalises. To my compost container i add chopped up banana peel. It is so full of nutrients. I have never tried to just lay them on top of the soil. I have been told that cockroaches love bananas, so i fear the peel would attract cockroaches?

About Hibiscus @roadrunner, Large Sulphur Butterflies are attracted to the single red tropical Hibiscus (you will have these butterflies in Florida, they are big and yellow, a few different species). So they do some pollinating and also some small ants do some pollinating on the tropical hibiscus in my area.
Wow. You are raising caterpillars ? Amazing stuff. Is it tough? Can you pls share in how to do it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I would be delighted to share the how to re raising caterpillars and butterflies. It is an amazing activity to watch the cycle of life, plus caterpillars are really adorable, the sweetest creatures. India has some very beautiful butterflies.
http://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/

The above url is just one website you will find when you search for butterflies of India.

First you need a host plant. I recommend you start with Asclepias curassavica (Tropical Milkweed). Butterfly caterpillars are very particular eaters. Generally they will only eat one species or genus of plant. Danaus butterflies lay their eggs on Asclepias plants. Asclepias c. is a plant that grows very well in your climate and it will attract Danaus butterflies that will lay single (as opposed to egg clusters) white eggs on the underside of the leaves. Once you have a few eggs, you wait about 3 days before a tiny larva (caterpillar) emerges. The caterpillars actually raise themselves, they know what to do, we are the observers and sometimes we can give them a little friendly help. They will generally eat early in the mornings and in the early to late evenings. The eat, poop, and sleep...pretty much like all babies do. Sometimes they fall asleep eating and might fall out of their bush. They appreciate being lifted up and returned to the base or underside of a leaf of the bush they were eating on. So no, it is not tough because they do all of the work. Depending on the size of the butterfly they are destined to be, they will eat for a few weeks until they are ready to pupate. When they are ready to pupate they will stop eating, start pooping alot, and generally leave the host plant to look for a safe place to pupate and make a chrysalis. They are very particular about choosing just the right place. It is fascinating to observe. They will be very sleepy for about 3 days (depending on size) and stay in the chosen spot until they are ready to make their chrysalis (also fascinating to observe). Danaus butterflies will generally be in the chrysalis between 6 to 9 days before they are ready to emerge (aka eclose) as fully developed adult butterflies (really fascinating to observe). After they emerge, it is critical that they be able to grasp and hold on to the vacated chrysalis or nearby leaf. If they fall, they will generally die, unless they are quickly able to return to an appropriate position, or a friend nearby offers a finger that they will anxiously crawl onto to be placed in a proper hanging position with room for their wings to expand. When they emerge the wings are crumpled and small and the abdomen is enormous. This holds the fluid that will flow into the wings to make them sufficiently rigid for flying. It could be as long as an hour before a butterfly is ready to fly after emerging from the chrysalis. How much time in the chrysalis and how much time for flight ready depends on air temperature. The warmer the temps, the faster the process. People think the first thing they do is eat, but the first thing they do is find a mate. They may stay in the garden and lay eggs before they fly away.

Here is an Orange-barred Sulphur butterfly (phoebis philea) as a grown caterpiller almost ready to pupate, the pupa, chrysalis, pre-flight (just hanging around), and flight ready. You will not have exactly the same butterfly, but something similar. The host plant for this cutie pie is Cassia/Senna
1 Orange barred Sulphur caterpillar.jpg

2 Orange barred Sulphur pupa.jpg

3 Orange barred Sulphur chrysalis.jpg
4 Orange barred Sulphur pre-flight.jpg
5 Orange barred Sulphur Butterfly.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
If you decide to take this journey, i will be happy to help you along the way to answer questions, etc, so don't hesitate to ask. You might want to start a new thread in one of the forums other than this one which is the introduction (meet and greet) forum. I guess the general gardening forum would be appropriate. And, oh dear i forgot to mention that the caterpillars will shed their skins 4 to 5 times as they are growing. It takes a couple of days, one day to shed the skin (this is exhausting for them) and also eat the shed skin and a second day to sleep :)

Ask a Question