Hello Everyone i am Debasish from India

Reaction score
Country
India
Wow! To
If you decide to take this journey, i will be happy to help you along the way to answer questions, etc, so don't hesitate to ask. You might want to start a new thread in one of the forums other than this one which is the introduction (meet and greet) forum. I guess the general gardening forum would be appropriate. And, oh dear i forgot to mention that the caterpillars will shed their skins 4 to 5 times as they are growing. It takes a couple of days, one day to shed the skin (this is exhausting for them) and also eat the shed skin and a second day to sleep :)

Wow ! This just took me back to my school days. Amazing stuff. How long do these butterflies live?
And where to find caterpillars?
I would love to do this project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

About Hibiscus @roadrunner, Large Sulphur Butterflies are attracted to the single red tropical Hibiscus (you will have these butterflies in Florida, they are big and yellow, a few different species). So they do some pollinating and also some small ants do some pollinating on the tropical hibiscus in my area.
Thanks, I'll look out for the Large Sulphur Butterflies. I've seen them occasionally, but would like to see them more. I do have tons of other flowers around my Hibiscus and they all attract various pollinators and it's kind of funny to watch them go after all them flowers, but totally ignore the huge red/yellow Hibiscus flower. However, on the Large Sulphur Butterfly, that's been an issue with me is that I seem to attract tons of bees of all species and a lot of Monarch butterflies, but I would like to see more species of butterflies, such as the LS butterfly; I guess I'm going to have to look at other plants to grow....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
And where to find caterpillars?
O very good, this will be exciting. It is so much more exciting to watch the cycle of life unfolding in real life, than watching TV :)

To answer your question above, you will find caterpillars in your garden on the leaves of the host plant you will grow and plant there. After you have completed the following steps:

1. locate and grow a butterfly host plant in your garden. i recommend Asclepias curassavica (Tropical Milkweed) to begin with. This will get you started right away. While this is growing, you can do internet search on other butterflies in your area and what host plants they use, and maybe get them growing as well. Only the Danaus use Asclepias c. as a host plant.

2. When the host plant is mature, keep your eye out for Danaus butterflies in your area to visit your garden. They will be attracted to your garden by the Asclepias and they will lay eggs on that plant. As you wander and/or work in your garden take a look at the underside of the leaves for small white eggs (one or two per leaf, but not on all the leaves). The eggs will hatch about 3 days after they are laid (in case you happen to see them being laid). You also find the tiny caterpillars by looking for leaves that have been chewed on (little holes in the middle of leaves or small chew marks along the edges. Another way to find them is by seeing if there is frase (poop) on the leaves. The frase of the very tiny caterpillars will also be tiny black specs (like finely ground pepper). From there look for the caterpillar(s) on the host plant. Easiest to find early morning and early to late evenings when they are active and eating. Nothing other than water should be sprayed on the leaves of any host plant, or the caterpillars will die when they eat it. Let me know when the Asclepias plant is in your garden and i will send you photos of both the butterfly and the caterpillar.

Two easy steps. This is where you find caterpillars.:)

There are butterflies that may only live 2 to 3 days after reproducing (which they do as soon as possible after being flight ready) to six months, all depends.

By the way, the Asclepias (genus name) plants are toxic to humans and exude a white milky sap if leaf or stem is broken so wash you hands after handling the plant. You will also need very clean hands when/if handling the caterpillars because they are very susceptible to bacteria...so wash hands before handling unless it is an emergency:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@roadrunner , search butterflies in florida (and maybe your location like West Central for example). Florida has many beautiful butterflies but some will only be found in the southern most parts of the state. Find the ones you would like to attract and then search for the host plant for those butterflies. That is how to get butterflies in your garden, grow host plants, but keep in mind the plants must be insecticide/herbicide free or you will be killing them off. Host plants come with caterpillars that will chew holes in the leaves of the host plants. Most will starve before destroying a plant though and the plants always grow back. If you are not prepared for that, then plant lots of nectar plants and see what comes. I recommend Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides (aka Senecio confusus) aka Mexican Flame Vine. It grows in your area and is the butterfly favorite nectar plant in my garden. Your State Butterfly (Heliconian longwings) always shows up when it is in bloom along with many other types of butterflies that i otherwise don't see.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Here is a photo of Asclepias c. and another photo of the kind of caterpillar you may find there. In addition to being a host plant, it is also a rich nectar plant favored by many butterflies and other nectar lovers.
IMG_2185.JPG

P1000676.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Great stuff Amazing.
Welcome Dj. It helps if you can add your city name and climate zone. Rooftop gardening must be as much fun as it an adventure. So you must be having all your plants in different types of containers - pots, covers and bags? And it may also be needing to be watered very regularly - what about water supply? Hope water problem is not a bother esp. for gardeners, leave alone for drinking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Welcome DJ! I am from AP
Which place in AP? Nellore, Guntur... hot places 45C! Isn't gardening a difficult proposition esp. in summer months. I have read that some places in your area even reach 48, 50C.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yep, most of the plants wilt during day time, if you miss watering once, say good bye to that plant;)

I used to connect dipper water line during summer months, its funny actually if you water plant in midday during summer delicate plant will die as the water will be too hot, might boil the roots:LOL::D:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question