Have you eaten the leaves from broccoli?

Reaction score
I have actually never thought of eating the leaves. I will have to give it a try next time. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
I didn't even know they were edible. Turns out a lot more plant leaves than I ever knew are actually quite tasty, I only recently discovered mustard greens after weeding them out of my yard for ages and wondering what they even were,

Reaction score
At first I didn't eat the leaves, but I decided to give them a try because I figured they should taste the same. I lived them so I eat the leaves with my broccoli every time I cook it.

Reaction score
Never :confused: it might sound silly, but I never thought we were supposed to eat the leaves as well, lol Besides I get my broccoli from the market, so it doesn't have any leaf left by the time it gets there! To be honest I have never seen a broccoli plant in my life, I wonder why they don't comercialize that as well??? If that lady is right and it tastes better than spinach... then why not??!

Reaction score
I guess not a lot of people think about eating the leaves from broccoli. I know I had never heard of it til I read this thread. I like to eat broccoli and somtimes I eat the the leaves as well. I had not thought about any benefits in eating the leaves, I just liked eating broccoli.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, when it comes to comparing spinach and broccoli, spinach is a leafy plant and broccoli is not. Broccoli is a stalky cluster of flowers with some surrounding leaves. There aren't enough leaves produced to supply a family with food so the plant wouldn't be cultivated for that. Any plant though that has edible greens is often used fully in cultures that are aware the leaves and other parts are edible and where people don't have the luxury of throwing away something useful.

I read something recently about food parts that people throw away that are actually edible. In most cases, at least in western culture, people just don't know any better.

Reaction score
Wow, so that's why they're not cultivated for that? I've seen broccoli plants, and the leaves looked huge to me, but I guess it takes more than just that in order to be marketed as an edible green :) I'd love to read that very same article you read as well, I really think we are wasting a lot food over here!

Reaction score
I use the stalks and small leaves in my soups, pasta sauce and stir fries. I usually just lop off a bit where it was cut in the field but I cut up most of it. The stalk on the brocolli actually has a good flavor to it. I also like to have the look of my dishes be inviting and the actual crown has a different collor from the stalk and small leaves. So more variety of taste and color!

Yes people do waste so much, but I think times are changing and maybe they will be more conscious of throwing any food away. I compost anything not eaten.

Reaction score
I have never done this but now I really want to try this. I am actually a big fan of spinach, and I love broccoli so I am really interested in trying this out. Did she give you any recipes maybe? Or other was she uses these leaves?

Reaction score
I agree that we waste too much food, but I also think the people are beginning to realize this fact too. Maybe we will start to waste less and eat more of the healthy foods we need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Another use for them is to run them through the juicer and add to juice/smoothies. The flavor is a mix between spinach and cabbage and I really like it. Been chopping up a few to add to my salads. Figure if I put the time, money and effort into growing healthy food its silly not to eat all of it

The dog loves broccoli and he's been enjoying the leaves as well. I have to watch him when I have him in the garden with me.. he will try to grab a leaf or chomp off a head of broccoli if you turn your back on him. He ignores all my other plants

Reaction score
I prefer cabbage leaves in my salads and stir fry as they are crunchier, but in a pinch I have used the broccoli leaves. They add a very nice splash of color!

I think they taste just like cabbage. I sometimes add them just for pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is funny about the dog, @Bandit26.

I guess if I grew my own broccoli I would have access to more leaves, but even when I get one fresh from the farmer's market there aren't enough leaves to make a meal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have plenty of leaves.. some are really huge (18 inches long)

The dog thinks frozen broccoli is the best treat in the whole world

Reaction score
The leaves aren't bad at all and generally have a pleasant taste. Celery leaves are really bitter so I would not recommend them for snacking or meals.

Ask a Question