Oh, crudmonkies. We have eaten them all.

Reaction score
Winter must be almost over, as we have eaten all of the apples that I had stored! Tonight's dessert finished them.:cry:

Every year I store a lot of apples in the refrigerator, and every year my family tells me that I bought too may! They never seem to object when I make an apple dessert, though! Tonight I made an apple crisp, which is simple cut up baked apples with a crumb topping. It is a simple recipe, but sometimes the simple recipes are the best. :)

First I cup up the apples and I added a little sugar. Then I mixed a cup of sugar with a cup of flour, and I cut up 8 ounces of butter to mix in with the flour-sugar mixture and I sprinkled it over the apples. Then I baked at 450 degrees for about an hour: it is done when the topping is nicely browned. :geek:

Delicious!:love:

Not every variety of apple should be stored in the refrigerator for 3 months: I choose the hard cooking apples that have JUST been picked, especially if they look like they are not quite ripe. They store best in a paper bag to keep the humidity up, though the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator works almost as well. I always have far more than will fit in the drawer, though: I started the winter with 30 pounds of apples!:eek:

To see if an apple has just been picked I look at the underside to see if the bottom of the core is still green or if it has turned brown: an unripe cooking apple that is still green at the bottom of the core is ideal for storing!;)

At any rate I sure will miss those apples! When it is storming outside I sometimes get unexpected urges to cook, :)

For me this is the end of the agricultural year: the soil has frozen hard and the most delicious food that I have stored has been eaten. Oh, I still have some uninteresting baggies of corn, but vegetables cannot compete with dessert! :cool:

Winters last gasp here will be February, which is a cold and overcast month where I live. February is the LONGEST month of the year, and that would be true even if it were only 2 weeks long! February is winters last gasp, here. February takes all of the worst things about winter, rolls it all up into one neat ball, and sticks it to us! March is a little unpredictable, but not February. February is PERFECTLY predictable! February will be MISERABLE: it always is! :cautious:

Dang. Eating all of the apples has gotten me down, which is just plain silly. Maybe I am really just anxious because I am seeing the dentist tomorrow to have some work done. :sick:

Then again, maybe I just need to buy more apples!:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK we use brown sugar with the flour, for your recipe, and we call it apple crumble.
It's even more popular here if you substitute rhubarb for apple, but both are delicious.
My forced rhubarb should be available before the end of February!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You not like February then Terri?

I dry my apples when i've got a glut, keep for years like that :)

Reaction score
My folks dry apples but then we eat them plain! I have been known to simmer them into applesauce but I think they are better just eaten straight.

It is better to not eat too many at a time, though. :oops: Otherwise I am afraid to get too far from a bathroom, LOL!:whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Eaten them all? There are still hundreds of pounds in our Apple store. They are beginning to shrivel now, but they still can be used for Juice or Apple purée. The Cooker types last longest and I eat those baked (cored and filled with dried fruit and a little syrup added to sweeten). The purée I add either Blueberries or Cherries to, heat up and a dollop of Yoghurt,makes a very acceptable desert. It is also used in cake making to reduce the amount of sugar needed. Otherwise, we put out a lot for the birds.

Reaction score
OUCH!

As I mentioned earlier I have had dental work done. Yesterday I did not hurt at ALL so I thought I got off lucky!

Nope. One bite this morning corrected my outlook. Today I am sore and a bit swoollen.

Owdboggy, can you share your recipe for "Soft meringue"? I confess I have never heard of it. And, where do you store your apples, to have so may of them? I am not worthy!:notworthy:

Honestly, though, feeding perfectly good apples to the birds?:ROFLMAO: I think I will skip that: apples are too good! I often share the cores with our feathered friends, but that is ALL that they get! LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Soft meringue is the same recipe as the crisp ones, just not cooked for as long.
The Apples are stored in our Summerhouse which is frost free and vermin proof.
The are kept in boxes from the Supermarket. The plastic inserts are very good for keeping them separate.
The birds get the ones which are going off. And in any case, there are far too many for me to eat. The freezers are full of frozen fruit which will keep me going until next season's fresh stuff.

Ask a Question