Has anyone tried vertical gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Check out this great image I just saw on FB from Grow Food Not Lawns! It seems relatively simple to do!

75394_449444015111216_2069136609_n.jpg

This could work for growing a lot of stuff from herbs to beets to carrots!

Reaction score
Vertical gardening is a great way to utilize space and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I have a lot of space for gardening, but I do use garden beds with poles and trellises for crops such as Scarlet Runner beans (sunflowers work great for these as well), Morning Glory, Nasturtiums, peas, cucumbers and more. It enables me to grow more in a small space plus the beds make it easier to weed and water.

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I tried growing strawberries in a bag that had slits for the plant and you hang it up on a wall or post. They did ok but they dried out really quick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
About 10 years ago I tried growing strawberries in a bag that had slits for the plant and you hang it up on a wall or post. They did ok but they dried out really quick.

Interesting method; you'd probably have to use some kind of drip irrigation, maybe with a repurposed bottle, to be sure the plants didn't dry out. I think the best way to grow strawberries is in something that gives them room to spread out.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not tried vertical gardening yet although it does look interesting and a way to conserve space when you are working with limited space. I do hope to try some of these ideas next spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of those look fantastic! I have never done one before but I would be quite interested in making one with herbs :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
These are some beautiful setups, thanks for sharing. I've been considering doing this as a space-saving measure for my balcony garden. I had some concerns about the level of sunlight and moisture vertically-arranged plants would receive. However, if everyone's been having successful experiences with vertical gardens, I might take the plunge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen these before but never tried myself.

Good idea.

Reaction score
My sister did a research project on it and I got all excited, only to discover that no matter what I do, there is no place in my yard that will get enough sun to grow anything. It's incredibly discouraging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My sister did a research project on it and I got all excited, only to discover that no matter what I do, there is no place in my yard that will get enough sun to grow anything. It's incredibly discouraging.

There are plenty of things you can grow in the shade. Plants don't necessarily have to be situated in direct sunlight. Also, I am sure it's possible to create more sunny areas. I've just done it in two other gardens. Do you have any photos?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I really like vertical gardens, I think this is the best idea for saving space. Sollution with bottles is great but I was thinking about something more automated which I won't have to water myself, and found something like this here https://www.4naturesystem.com with irrigation system. Do you have any opinions about this or have you tried something similar?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a great idea.
Found some other videos with people using cloth planters. Searching thru Amazon, found this as a low cost starting setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question